Noise Suppressor Questions!

gibsgstd1999

• Members

Recently, I accquired a Boss NS-2, and I have a few questions :)

1. Can this pedal actually be used to cut down on amplifier noise (i.e. hiss, etc). If so, how do I need to set my signal chain up?

2. I am a little confused about what the difference between the in/out and send/return jacks are. Can someone please explain this to me?

3. Is the mute switch on the BOSS NS-2 good for switching guitars, and not damaging my Peavey Classic 30?

Thanks.

=joe=

• Members

I've never seen or used one but I can help you on #1.

If you want to cut down on amp hiss, noise, this should be first in your chain.

You're just gonna have to play with the settings to make sure you don't get notes or sustain cutting out too early.

I used a Decimator pedal in the loop of my JCM800 and it cleaned the noise and feedback right up.

hope that helps ;)

• Members
I've never seen or used one but I can help you on #1.

If you want to cut down on amp hiss, noise, this should be first in your chain.

You're just gonna have to play with the settings to make sure you don't get notes or sustain cutting out too early.

I used a Decimator pedal in the loop of my JCM800 and it cleaned the noise and feedback right up.

hope that helps
;)

Thanks, that definitely helps. So, the effects loop is generally where the pedal should be placed to cut down on noise from the amp itself?

• Members

A noise suppressor is useful for two things: 1) cutting pickup hum when you're not playing, and 2) cutting pedal/preamp noise and hiss when you're not playing.

The difference in volume between the 60 cycle hum and your pickup signal is greatest at the beginning of your chain, before anything has had a chance to amplify the hum. So, to cut pickup hum, it's best to have the suppressor at the beginning of your chain.

However, if you do this, pedal and preamp noise is unaffected by the suppressor, because the noise is generated after the suppressor in the chain. To suppress it you'd ideally put the supressor in your effects loop. The problem with so doing is that after a lot of gain and compression, your 60 cycle hum may be almost as loud as your pickup signal, and so the suppressor will have a hard time cutting your signal at the right point and only the right point.

The ideal solution is to have two noise gates, one at the beginning of your chain and the other in the effects loop. The Boss noise suppressor's loop is an effort to have the best of both worlds - If you have all of your pedals and preamp in the loop, the noise suppressor will "see" and respond to the signal that is at the beginning of your chain, but will actually do the suppression at the end of your chain.

The best way to set up the suppressor with a loop is to run your guitar directly into the NS-2. Run the send of the NS-2 into the beginning of the chain of your other pedals. Run the end of the chain of your other pedals into your amp. Run your amp effects send into the return of your NS-2. Then run the "out" of the NS-2 into the effects return of your amp.

That way you'll suppress everything except power-amp noise based on the unaltered signal from your guitar.

• Members

Good explanation MrMunky.

That's how I have mine setup.

Just to add a bit more, and to answer another part of your question, the switch acts in two different ways, depending on which mode your NS2 is functioning.

In "Reduction" mode, when the switch is OFF, your NS2 will deactivate, thus, not doing any noise reduction. When it's ON, your NS2 will reduce noise.

In "Mute" mode, when the switch is OFF, your NS2 will reduce noise (it acts as if it was ON in the Reduction mode). When it's ON, it completely mutes the signal. you can switch guitars safely like this.

Archived