Laptop Advice for Keys/Recording/Synths/Personal Use

Palaver

• Members

I know that I've seen countless posts here on Mac vs. PC, but I'd like to hear some comments from those of you who are familiar with both worlds, and what you think would be best for myself.

My name is Phil Butler, and I am looking at spending around $1500 on a laptop (to give a ballpark figure). I am looking for a laptop that's reliable, and good for presentations (I will need such features for work). I am also going to learn how RECORD and SEQUENCE using this laptop, and I want something that I may use for potential soft synths.

I am a keyboarder and a drummer, and I plan on buying the Roland TD20S, and using it in tandum with my Korg Triton Extreme (I also plan on getting my hands on the Korg M3 and Radias expansion set). Basically, what I am asking, is which laptop is the most reliable and can run the most user friendly software for a noob like myself? I am a rompler whore, and I love hardware because I enjoy composing without getting caught up in technicalities (and forget what I was doing in the first place). I like to write and play live. I want a computer that is capable for this setting. I also want to use it to record my sequenced patterns/drum tracks, and overlay my vocals.

So here it is:

1) How much RAM do I need for this?

2) How fast of a processer, etc?

3) What software should I use to record my keyboard parts, vocals, and drum tracks?

4) What hardware components should I use to interface the drum brain and keyboard(s) to the computer?

5) Ultimately, why should I buy a Mac? Or why should I go for the PC?

6) Any advice on mastering hardware?

My goal is to get a handle on recording over the next couple of years. I have a {censored}load of learning to do, and I need to start off in the right direction. I really enjoy participating in a band, and I want to learn how to make good quality demos prior to the professional deal. I'd like to have this skill, so I can present sound engineers/producers with my work pre-production. I am also in the process of acquiring some info in regards to software and mics from an audio engineer that I've worked with... I know this is slightly off topic, but I love this particular forum, and I find it to be the most useful one in terms of everything. Help me out!

If you're interested in the type of work that I do, you can check out my band's recordings at www.myspace.com/palaverband and that will give you an idea of the sound textures, etc. that I use. The studio that we recorded in used Nuendo on a PC.

Thanks,

Phil

www.palaver.ca

www.myspace.com/palaverband

• Members

1. Either a Core 2 Duo or Athlon/Turion 64 x2

2. 1Gb Minimum, 2Gg would be best.

3. Thats a personal preference thing. How much are you willing to spend? Is that in addition to the $1500 you mentioned?

4. You'll need a need an external interface (Firewire, USB, PC-Card). I am not familiar with the Roland product you mentioned. How many inputs will you need at any given time? Again, how much are you willing to spend?

5. Depends what software you feel most comfortable with...

6. Not a clue why you would need mastering hardware. That is all done in software now...

• Members

Hey Phil...

Will you just be recording yourself, or will it be a band room type of thing?

Most software manufacturers recommend a minimum of 512Mb of RAM. Anytime they say that, double it. 1 GB should be fine for you.

PC and Macs will both get the job done, but PCs require alot more tweaking and adjustments. You can definitely save money going PC, but I don't think the Mac laptops are a bad deal. If they had cost two or three years ago what they cost now, I wouldn't be dealing with the quirky Dell laptop I ended up with.

Are you just going to have stereo from your electronic drums and mix out/stereo from your Keyboard? Do you have a mixer? Seems like you want to keep it as simple as possible, using your hardware to write and just recording/arranging/mixing and mastering with the computer. Simplest IMO would be to pick up an Ibook Duo Core for about $1,000...look at the different soundcards for Mac from Echo Audio, Presonus, TC Electronics, Focusrite, whichever has the appropriate number of outputs for you, and then just use Garageband which comes already installed on the Macs, or use the lite version of Cubase that comes with most soundcards nowadays. Garageband allows up to 8 simutaneous track recording, which might be enough for you. You might even have enough left over from that $1,500 to get an all-purpose studio mic like an SM57.

• Members

I have over a decade of experience using both platforms professionally, predominantly for graphic design, marketing, business, and of course audio.

An Intel Mac is BOTH a PC and a Mac. Yes it's a bit confusing, but Mac runs Windows XP just fine - in fact, I ran XP on my Mac about 90% of the time last year. Currently, I'm now back to using OSX primarily (Adobe Photoshop beta is finally out for Intel Macs!)

The Mac platform has a few advantages, the developer of the OS and the hardware is the same. Apple also develops Final Cut and Logic Pro for their OS and hardware. What other manufacturer shares that relationship? As a result, tight integration between software, OS and hardware is possible.

Windows XP, needs to be tenderly cared for for it to run optimally. For the most part, its a pretty good OS. I think its a matter of preference, but the Mac OS is that much more elegant. When you are in the application, it doesn't matter that much, but thats not how we use computers. You can use the Mac for everything, entertainment, music, productivity and creative and it all seems to work together very well.

On the presentation side for Macs: Keynote is awesome! Take a look at what you can do with it. It is so easy to use and makes for very professional and effective presentations.

Would look into Digital Performer for sequencing / recording needs. I find it easier to use than Logic - which is less logical and more technical. Either one will be exceptional, Logic is more but comes with some very tasty softsynths...

Another sequencer that may peak your interest is Ableton Live6. Excellent and elastic audio handling.

• Members

Thanks so much... Here's some more info that will help you out:

The $1500 is the ballpark for the laptop alone. I am totally new to the recording thing, and it's only now that I am really starting to get the handle of my Triton Extreme. I love sequencing the band's parts, and I am a fairly strong keys player. I need a hobby so that I can burn money, and kill some major time:thu: :thu: :thu:

Basically, I'd like to have some form of software like Nuendo. I have no direct personal experience with it, except that the studio that recorded us used the software. I don't mind learning curves, and I want something that is powerful, and I can do lots of nice things with. If it can yield equal results in terms of audio fidelity, and it's easier, bring it on! The guy who recorded us had all of his plug-ins and stuff based in that. I am a complete noob (as if you couldn't tell), and I will be using electronic drums for recording ease, and because I will be moving to a condo... hence the Roland TD20S drum brain. It's going to set me back a bit, but the damn thing is ridiculous... plus it saves me the mess of having mics everywhere. In terms of drums, I'd like to have more than 8 outputs, but 8 should be ok. If worse comes to worse, I am sure I could record the drums into the Roland drum brain first, and then output each seperate track via stereo anyways...

So this Garage band software is free with the Mac? I will definitely be going for 2 GB of ram, and the duo core. I just want ease of use, and plug and play.

And for my next question:

What's the major difference between these models? And please note that the price difference is in Canadian dollars. I don't understand why the 15-inch computer is so much more expensive (other than the obvious video card, and the larger screen). I can also get a deal on both makes through the university that I am attending... so I will be saving a couple hundred on some extra hardware bonuses. I just put the prices listed from the apple homepage. Is it really worth getting over a Dell or a Toshiba, etc.? I am not a gamer at all... so hopefully that helps you out.

a)

13-inch

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

80GB hard drive1

Double-layer SuperDrive

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,299.00

**note: I'd upgrade this to 2 gigs of ram

and

b)

15-inch

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1440 x 900 pixels

1GB memory

120GB hard drive1

6x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Ships: Within 24 hours

Free Shipping

$1,999.00

**I'd want this upgraded to 2 gigs of ram.

And for lhm1138:

Which of the sound cards would yield the best quality? I know that I need a piece of hardware (for instance a friend uses this Edirol interface) in order to bridge the gap from the computer to the instruments/vox. Should I get a mixing board with preamps (ie: a mixing board with about 12 seperate channels) before going into the puter?

Maybe perhaps, I should start off really simple, and work up to this stuff like the mixing board with preamps? Mastering software? Once again, whatever is simple and gets good results. Money isn't really too much of an option. As of for my immediate needs, I guess the mixer and preamps can wait. I just want good quality in terms of recording the keys and electronic drums.

Thanks so much... if you have advice on studio monitors or anything... so be it. So I guess I should go with a Mac?

Thank you kindly,

Phil

• Members

On the presentation side for Macs: Keynote is awesome! Take a look at what you can do with it. It is so easy to use and makes for very professional and effective presentations.

Would look into Digital Performer for sequencing / recording needs. I find it easier to use than Logic - which is less logical and more technical. Either one will be exceptional, Logic is more but comes with some very tasty softsynths...

Another sequencer that may peak your interest is Ableton Live6. Excellent and elastic audio handling.

Thanks for the great advice. I was talking to our tech support guy in our geophysics lab. We run some powerful stuff, and the guy that upkeeps the linux stuff in our lab swears by the Mac. He also showed me a site where I can get Open Office for free, and be able to use the spreadsheet software (I love microsoft office)... that's one thing I am afraid of losing. I noticed you can get the mac version for like 500 bucks:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

Thanks for the great advice. I was talking to our tech support guy in our geophysics lab. We run some powerful stuff, and the guy that upkeeps the linux stuff in our lab swears by the Mac. He also showed me a site where I can get Open Office for free, and be able to use the spreadsheet software (I love microsoft office)... that's one thing I am afraid of losing. I noticed you can get the mac version for like 500 bucks:eek:
:eek:
:eek:

hmm... never used Open Office. You may need the help of your Linux friend for the install though... as it looks like you need to compile it. I'm going to check it out. thx! You are not even a Mac owner yet and you are making recommendations.

Regarding the Mac versions, the big dif between the MacBooks and the MacBookPros are the video card, bus speed, harddrive speed and connectivity. But honestly, processor-wise, they are fairly even.

Another really good buy are the iMac models, which are cheaper, but sport a better video card and a pretty nice LCD.

One thing to note: laptops come with slower drives not suited to heavy multitracking. MacBook has a 5400rpm. It may not be that important if you are not tracking a lot of tracks (more than 8 stereo). Another option with the MacBook is to use an external Firewire/USB 2.0 harddrive. Just to note: the iMac comes standard with the 7200rpm and can be installed with much larger drives.

If you are going to be using this in the studio, iMac all the way, they are cheap and powerful!

If you absolutely must have a laptop, get the a MacBook and an external drive.

In opted out for a MacBookPro over a year ago. It got its processor and harddrive upgraded (7200rpm) out of the factory and it still holds up. Doesn't look like Apple has the 7200rpm upgrade anymore, so you would have to perform this yourself.

Another big one, is to buy RAM somewhere else, it is damn expensive from Apple. Just make sure to buy quality.

6. Mastering hardware - look into Waves. You could easily spend $1000s of dollars, but if you just buy their compressor http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=171

a cheaper alternative that sounds great is Ozone 3. Strongly recommended.

If you buy Logic Pro, they have some healthy dynamic processing. But with this stuff, honestly, its not that big of a deal unless you are an engineer with the best audiophile equipment available. Leave it to the pros. After listening to the highest end audio equipment I kinda gave up on engineering - you really do need the best stuff - it is THAT good. The good news, is that people will do this for you and or you can just use your software dynamics to get it 'listenable' and may even get it just right. :)

Regarding software - just record songs with Garageband for now. You already mentioned you are good with the keys, and your hardware sequencer. Keep it simple, just play and record! ;)

• Members

hmm... never used Open Office. You may need the help of your Linux friend for the install though... as it looks like you need to compile it. I'm going to check it out. thx! You are not even a Mac owner yet and you are making recommendations.

Regarding the Mac versions, the big dif between the MacBooks and the MacBookPros are the video card, bus speed, harddrive speed and connectivity. But honestly, processor-wise, they are fairly even.

Another really good buy are the iMac models, which are cheaper, but sport a better video card and a pretty nice LCD.

One thing to note: laptops come with slower drives not suited to heavy multitracking. MacBook has a 5400rpm. It may not be that important if you are not tracking a lot of tracks (more than 8 stereo). Another option with the MacBook is to use an external Firewire/USB 2.0 harddrive. Just to note: the iMac comes standard with the 7200rpm and can be installed with much larger drives.

If you are going to be using this in the studio, iMac all the way, they are cheap and powerful!

If you absolutely must have a laptop, get the a MacBook and an external drive.

In opted out for a MacBookPro over a year ago. It got its processor and harddrive upgraded (7200rpm) out of the factory and it still holds up. Doesn't look like Apple has the 7200rpm upgrade anymore, so you would have to perform this yourself.

Another big one, is to buy RAM somewhere else, it is damn expensive from Apple. Just make sure to buy quality.

6. Mastering hardware - look into Waves. You could easily spend $1000s of dollars, but if you just buy their compressor
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=171

a cheaper alternative that sounds great is
Ozone 3
. Strongly recommended.

If you buy Logic Pro, they have some healthy dynamic processing. But with this stuff, honestly, its not that big of a deal unless you are an engineer with the best audiophile equipment available. Leave it to the pros. After listening to the highest end audio equipment I kinda gave up on engineering - you really do need the best stuff - it is THAT good. The good news, is that people will do this for you and or you can just use your software dynamics to get it 'listenable' and may even get it just right.
:)

Regarding software - just record songs with Garageband for now. You already mentioned you are good with the keys, and your hardware sequencer. Keep it simple, just play and record!
;)

What part of Canada are you from? I am from St. John's (obviously), and I will be moving out to Calgary in a couple months after I am finished up my degree program. I cannot thank you enough, and I certainly owe you a beer:thu: :thu: :thu:

The Macbook pro looks mighty tempting... and I have a bad case of the 'wanties.' If I am not mistaken, the GarageBand software comes with the Macbook Pro? If so I am sold. But in terms of interfacing my keyboard with the computer, what is the best route? Is the firewire strictly for USB connectors, or does it have XLR inputs/digital optical inputs/quarter inch jacks as well?

Once again, pardon my ignorance. I guess my initial question was a little too ambitious! So basically... right off the bat, I'd like to connect my Triton and a vocal mic directly to the Mac and the Garage band software (which you say is included!?). Will this firewire connector piece suffice, or do I need this, along with some other connector piece into the laptop?

So basically, after I get the computer (and from my understanding, Garage Band is pre-installed), I will need a piece of hardware to connect my keyboard to the Mac, and I will need a special sound card? I must have you driven mental.

Thanks again,

Phil

• Members

Wow!

This thread went down hill really fast...

I appreciated the input, and from your previous posts, I take it that you are a PC user? I am assuming that you are against the Mac? If so, for what reasons? I am still open to the idea of a regular PC, and perhaps you could swing me over to the other side?

• Members

I have friends who swear by their Macs, but as a former support tech I used to swear at them. When they work they are great but if anything goes wrong they are the stupidest machines ever put on the planet. After all the "invalid string" faults and little bombs and unhappy face icons I ran into I just swore I'd never own a Mac. Icons are not good diagnostic tools. I never ran into a PC problem I couldn't solve... not true for Mac. Don't you still have to exit the Mac OS just to defrag the hard drive? That's easy to do on a PC and it makes a big difference in running music applications. But to each their own.

I have an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop with Win XP and 2GB of RAM that I love. I bought an external 7200 RPM hard drive to go with it but the internal 5400 RPM does everything I need. I mostly use it for Reason and field recording. My studio PC runs Sonar and Sony Sound Forge in addition to softsynths like Colossus. I have a couple of audio interfaces for my laptop (Tascam US-122, X-Station 49) and an M-Audio 1010LT card for my studio PC.

• Members

I appreciated the input, and from your previous posts, I take it that you are a PC user? I am assuming that you are against the Mac? If so, for what reasons? I am still open to the idea of a regular PC, and perhaps you could swing me over to the other side?

I prefer neither platform - they both have their issues. I simply base my choice of platform on the apps I intend to use.

There is no real reason for me to switch to a Mac at this point because quite a few apps I use still have not been ported to Universal Binary and will not work under Boot Camp or Parallels. I use Sonar for DAW work and some other PC exclusive 3D apps as well (3D Studio MAX and Rhino).

I do take issue with someone making the "uninformed" assumption that somehow a Mac is in some way more stable than a PC. That is completely untrue and has been the case since Windows 2000/XP hit the market.

Archived