D*A*M Meathead "review"

plecoman

• Members

I bought a D*A*M* Metahead today, sort of by accident. I was in the shop trying out a new Phaser pedal (Subdecay, which I bought), and I noticed they had a Meathead in stock. Remembering the reviews I have read on it I gave it a go. It was surposed to be a brutle gain machine with lots of aggression, and loads of fuzzzzzzzz. The maker of Matamps in UK has also said that these were his fave DAM pedals. I recently bought a Skreddy Mayo so I wanted to see if this thing would be similar in any ways...

I plugged it in with the 'Dirt' knob at 3 o'clock then played... It was like an explosion. There was so much volume on tap, and so so so much gain. At that time I was only playing a reissue Strat through a Rivera era Fender. I had to turn the knob back to around 8-9 o'clock before I was thrown out of the shop. The sound is very sweet, crisp and crunchy. I loved it straight away. It has a tint of that Growl from tonebenders, but much more gain, and not gated. In terms of sheer gain it has more than a Skreddy Mayo. It is not as smooth, or scooped, but much more "old school" sounding. It doesnt remind me of a FUzzface though, more of that tonebender, Maestro Fuzz type tone, but made user friendly and heavy:evil:

I changed over to an SG to see how it sounded with Humbuckers and I was very impressed. Sustains forever, very woody natural compression. The only thing you can complain about is that the volume knob on the guitar doesn't interact with the pedal well. Having the Vol rolled off isn't very usable. Also, the Knob "DIRT" adds fatness, and grit at higher settings, but more noticably, volume. It works more like a volume knob in my opinion.

It is the cheapest pedal in the DAM line at the moment, but it turned out to be the one I liked the most. I have only played a Pro MKII and sonic titan before this but I bought the Meathead straight away. If you guys have a chance to give it a try, it will surprise the hell out of you!:thu:

• Members

Everything D*A*M is the {censored}. I have a Meathead, Sonic Titan and Deluxe Meathead spread across my rigs, and am trying to get another DM as we speak :)

Yeah, talk to Scott from Axeandyou..., he'll let you know when he has some. Last email we exchanged put the wait at a few weeks though

• Members

Everything D*A*M is the {censored}. I have a Meathead, Sonic Titan and Deluxe Meathead spread across my rigs, and am trying to get another DM as we speak
:)

Yeah, talk to Scott from Axeandyou..., he'll let you know when he has some. Last email we exchanged put the wait at a few weeks though

I am thinking of trying the Deluxe Meathead too... DO the extra controls make it sound better? Or just more versitile? I guess the fact that it is a one Knob pedal and sounds so good is what attracted me at the end.

• Members

"woody compression"? Are you reviewing French wine?

No I am not reviewing French wine... Seriously, sorry for getting all pissed off but why don't you try saying something useful instead of making pointless, unfunny comments? I am just tired of comments like this. If you actually don't like my use of the adjective "woody", or don't understand what I meant, next time please simply ask what I mean by it, I would very happily explain and help out.

Archived