Tell me about the EHX Metal Muff

• Members

I play alot of heavy stuff ranging from classic rock to metal. When im playing at home i dont get the chance to crank the volume and gain so i use a boss metal zone for my heavy tone. I noticed the the EHX Metal Muff is only 55 pounds and wondered what yous thought about them?

• Members

i hear good things about the pedal, it's for metal :) i haven't been able to try it myself but i would like to.

people say it's a different sound and may not to be to everyone's likings.

and each of the different models sound a little different. the middle size version seems to catch people the most in tone for some reason.

but also whatever a peddle can do-via in the eq section you could also achieve a close tone if you twiddle your amp knobs around. (or get an eq pedal)

• Members

Anyone have any info on the model with the top boost???

Ya I have one and love it. I have used everything from the Metal Muff, to Digitech metal master, zoom tri metal and dime distortion. The Metal muff cuts through the mix the easiest. The top boost option, really peels paint so you have to keep it set pretty low, you will notice a big difference in tone between the top boost being engaged and disenengaged. I like to run the mids about 12 o'clock on the non top boost setting, so when I step on the top boost it is not such a harsh change in tone. Overall the pedal does a great scooped mid tone.

I also find the pedal is a little more mid to high sounding so I tend to crank the bass levels up to compensate. Oh and if you add an eq after it, you can get some really killer tones.

One other note, out of all my heavy pedals, I find the metal muff is the best one to work with single coils, humbuckers are great as well.

One disadvantge I wish there was a seperate led for the top boost mode that would stay lite when it is engaged and the pedal itself is bypassed.

I hope this helps

• Members

anyone know what difference it makes if the Metal Muff is analog vs. digital distortion?

i am wondering now if i have ever tried an analog distortion pedal before?

(line6 ubermetal, ibanez tonelock distortion pedals, proco rat2, most boss boxes, digitech bad monkey, is the big muff digital?)

is the MM AC jack the same as the other funky EHX pedals? requires a smaller piece?

• Members

anyone know what difference it makes if the Metal Muff is analog vs. digital distortion?

i am wondering now if i have ever tried an analog distortion pedal before?

(line6 ubermetal, ibanez tonelock distortion pedals, proco rat2, most boss boxes, digitech bad monkey, is the big muff digital?)

is the MM AC jack the same as the other funky EHX pedals? requires a smaller piece?

Metal Muff is all analogue, and uses the standard boss style negative center jack for power.

• Members

Metal Muff is all analogue, and uses the standard boss style negative center jack for power.

Even though it uses the same jack (centre negative) as the boss pedals, it has a positive ground. This means you can't daisy chain the power between boss (negative ground) and these pedals (even though the connectors are all centre negative).

edit: The above is only true for the Nano MM, the original large MM is normal in the grounding department.

• Members

The metal muff is great for people like you who don't realize that I'm the only one around here that is allowed to be known as a spectral entity.

My friend actually has one and I don't really like it. It is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I find that the MM needs to be dialed in.

If the amp is too bright: nails.

If the amp is darker, and with the right guitar: NAILS!!! YEAH F'N YEAH!!!!!!!!!:rawk:

Then again, not all guitars, and not all amps are going to work with these pedals. Then again, this is true for any combination of equipment.

• Members

Even though it uses the same jack (centre negative) as the boss pedals, it has a positive ground. This means you can't daisy chain the power between boss (negative ground) and these pedals (even though the connectors are all centre negative).

yes you can... i run my metal muff on the same daisy chain as my digitech, boss, and dano pedals.

• Members

yes you can... i run my metal muff on the same daisy chain as my digitech, boss, and dano pedals.

Oops, you're right, I was talking about the Nano MM, but forgot to say so. I believe the regular MM has a negative ground, so it should work fine. The positive ground thing is something EHX has done with (some/all?) of the new Nano pedals, seemingly just to be a PITA. Found this out the hard way when I blew the fuse in my power supply, twice. :rolleyes: Now I have two daisy chains, one for the negative grounds, and the other for the positives.

• Members

Here's a quick clip I did for ya, mind the playin just wanted to show the MM(full sized). Clip is just Metal Muff, touch of eq, and running through a Peavey Ultra 112

Recorded with built in mic and camera on my iMac.

Link:

First part dist at just past half (1:00)

Second part dist at just past off (8:00)

Archived