Compressor ATTACK knob? General Help?

plecoman

• Members

I was wondering if someone can help me here on what the attack knob does exactly. I am using a TREX comp that my friend is letting me use and I can't figure it out.

Also, Is it true with most Comps that if you set the Comp knob high, and try to play loud chords, it gates your notes so the volume is more level with the rest of your playing? I was hitting the strings hard on a SG and with the compressor off, I got a mouch louder signal through.

• Members

I was wondering if someone can help me here on what the attack knob does exactly. I am using a TREX comp that my friend is letting me use and I can't figure it out.

Also, Is it true with most Comps that if you set the Comp knob high, and try to play loud chords, it gates your notes so the volume is more level with the rest of your playing? I was hitting the strings hard on a SG and with the compressor off, I got a mouch louder signal through.

I think I'd be right in saying that the attack knob sets how quickly the volume is levelled out, basically how quickly the compression kicks in when you strike notes.

Your second question - yes that is true. One of the uses of a compressor is to level extra loud and extra quite signals out to one volume to make your playing appear more consistent...

• Members

I think I'd be right in saying that the attack knob sets how quickly the volume is levelled out, basically how quickly the compression kicks in when you strike notes.

Your second question - yes that is true. One of the uses of a compressor is to level extra loud and extra quite signals out to one volume to make your playing appear more consistent...

Hi,

Ok, so my guesses were right... So if the attack knob does this, which was does it kick in faster? Fuly clockwise means it kicks in straight away, and counterclockwise means it kicks in a little slower? Is that about right?

• Members

Hi,

Ok, so my guesses were right... So if the attack knob does this, which was does it kick in faster? Fuly clockwise means it kicks in straight away, and counterclockwise means it kicks in a little slower? Is that about right?

I would imagine it's the other way round, ie counterclockwise - instant attack and clockwise - slow attack. I say this because I would of thought the more you turn the knob up, the slower the attack becomes...

• Members

I would imagine it's the other way round, ie counterclockwise - instant attack and clockwise - slow attack. I say this because I would of thought the more you turn the knob up, the slower the attack becomes...

OK I will experiment around a bit. Thanks for the help!

Archived