Another Solina emulation...

FlowerP

• Members

Electro-music.com isn't fully online yet, so I'll post my Solina emulation Nord Modular G2 patch here.

Below is the patch layout. Click the image for a full size screenshot. As can be seen on the screenshot, the patch/memory load has been reduced so you can get up to 9 voices on an unexpanded G2 and 21 on an expanded.

SolinaG2_layout_600.jpg

The FX area contains the chorus ensemble. It has evolved from a recreation of the Korg SDD-3300 triple digital delay. Some controls from the SDD-3300 patch have remained even though they are not essential for the Solina chorus. For the Solina emulation a paraphonic envelope, chorus mono/stereo routing, tone control and volume control have been added. And the low strings (monophonic bass) are also part of the FX area.

By switching the FX area input from Bus 1/2 to In 1/2 (or 3/4) you can use the patch as a general chorus ensemble effect.

The Solina buttons and sliders are mapped to parameter pages A1 and A2. The Tone control (A1:4) controls the cutoff frequency of a 6 dB/oct lowpass filter. The Main Level control (A2:6) is independent from the Patch Level control (MIDI CC #7) and is intended for matching levels between variations. The Routing Source (A2:8) selects chorus output routing. Position 2 (of 4) is called "Mono3" and this is the standard mono Solina chorus setting.

Pages B1-E3 are only for experimental/developmental purposes. Use at your own risk! ;)

SolinaG2_parameters.jpg

This is the actual patch. Variations 1-8 are populated with miscellaneous settings. Please note that the Main Level is below 0 dB in most variations. This is to achieve approximately equal volume in all variations. When you experiment with your own Solina G2 settings, you can set Main Level to 0 dB in order to optimize S/N ratio.

This is a demo recording (same link as in my previous post) of the patch. No effects are used except for the chorus that is an integral part of the patch.

You may download and use my Solina G2 patch for free. If you enjoy the patch and would like to help cover my expenses (buying a Solina that will probably sell at a loss due to it being in worse condition than was obvious when bought), a contribution of $5-10 via Paypal (to image.gif) would be very much appreciated.

Have fun! :)

• 2 months later...
  • Members

All this talk about Solinas, many years ago I removed the phaser from a wrecked Solina and mounted it in a box of its own. Its just mono but it's the real thing. I use an old MXR compander to silence it. Very warm and analog sounding fer sure. Wanna buy it? I find my Yammy SPX90 has a great ensemble sound and it's in stereo so I use that anymore. kellyd12@roadrunner.com

• Members

All this talk about Solinas, many years ago I removed the phaser from a wrecked Solina and mounted it in a box of its own. Its just mono but it's the real thing. I use an old MXR compander to silence it. Very warm and analog sounding fer sure. Wanna buy it? I find my Yammy SPX90 has a great ensemble sound and it's in stereo so I use that anymore.
kellyd12@roadrunner.com

Its more like a chorus than a phaser. What people like Jarre used to do is use a smallstone with the Solina in order to create that phasing string effect... but yeah a lot of people would take that chorus unit out of their Solinas to use it as a guitar effect :)

• 5 months later...
  • Members

is my attempt at emulating the Solina String Ensemble. It is entirely synthesized, no samples are used. The ensemble effect and some Eq are included in the patch. The audio file was recorded straight from the synth. No additional effects were used.

What do you think of the sounds? Is this an accurate emulation?

That is a great emulation! Cheers.

Just to add to the fray, here's another one - a sampleset, from www.prokits.co.uk, that I just mentioned in another thread (who knew, two active Solina threads going at once!). The sampleset is available for Kontakt, Halion and Soundfont for

Archived