FM: hardware vs. software

pighood

• Members

The TX7 was the DX7 sound circuitry in a desktop package, a format also used by Yamaha for the QX7 sequencer and other devices of the period. The TX816 is 8 TF1 modules, each TF1 containing a complete DX7 sound circuit, in a 19 inch rack format. In other words 8 DX7s in one box. Yamaha also offered a TX216 in that format, and I've seen at least one TX416 online. Supposedly you could buy TF1s separately so that you could add them to your TX216 or whatever as budget allowed, although how often this happened I have no idea. All of these units need an external programmer to program sounds, so you need a DX7 or a software program to create your own sounds on them.

• Members

To all those DX vets out there: what, if anything is missing from the software emulations?

in short: gritt, edge and cut thru the mix.

i had orig DX7 (now sold), and have been using FS1R, TX802 and FM7 side by side. FS1R has its own thing going, i dont use it for straight FM DX kinda stuff. its softer, too hi fi, and has slow envelopes.

for classic gritty and biting fm, my choice is TX802. considering it cost less than some vstis, on the used market, i strongly suggest you pick one up, Piggy. and check it out yourself.

on a related note, what's most fun for me is loading one of thousands of dx voices i got from the net, into TX. finding a nice "template" performance patch on FS1R (layers of voices), with nice formant sequence and effects/filter settings. and then loading the voice(s) from TX as sysex, into the voice slots of the FS1R perf. turns out sorta like morph btwn the tx n fs patch - you get instant unique results..

• Members

on a related note, what's most fun for me is loading one of thousands of dx voices i got from the net

I actually collected them all from the net. Some 10 000 total. I found this program that will sort them out and delete doubles (not just double names, but double patch content). So in the end it drops to some 5 000. Then i loaded them (64 at the time) into SY-77 and selected the best. After 2 months i finished my Best Of DX-7 collection. :freak:

Well this also includes a selection of best SY-77 patches from online (about 1000). I feel so sad when i think how much time i lost doing that. :( :(

• Members

After 2 months i finished my Best Of DX-7 collection.
:freak:

Well this also includes a selection of best SY-77 patches from online (about 1000). I feel so sad when i think how much time i lost doing that.
:(
:(

yeah that's what i did, the best of dx net sounds. it was when i got the TX802 sometime 12 yrs ago. all things considered, and how often i use FM sounds nowadays, it was kinda waste of time..

• Members

Posted by Don Solaris:
BTW as a complete synth (not just FM) TG-33 is one of my favorite, but that's another story.

I want to hear this story.

The TG-33 has been on my short list for a while, because, they're extremely cheap, and well regarded by those who seem to know, (Sealed, Mr Solaris, others). That, and it has a joystick. Anything with a joystick intrigues me. Freudian? Perhaps. But I'm all man, dammit. :D

I'm still have my FM cherry. I didn't even know the Q could do FM.

• Members

No one mentioned the G2.
:confused:

honestly, I dont use the G2 for emulating the DX stuff pretty much at all. I find that a waste of the instrument, to be honest (a 2500 piece of kit being used to emulate something you could get for $200 used..). When I use the G2 with FM, its almost never uses the DX dedicated modules.

Not that they dont have their uses. using the DX router module with a number of LFOs and sequencers to create a wierd modulation matrix has its joy. not to mention, there is nothing to stop you using more than one of them...

• Members

I want to hear this story.

Any you are literally going to hear it: :)

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/files/tg33/tg33_vector_hybrid_pad.mp3 (my favorite!!!)

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/files/tg33/tg33_marimba_noise.mp3

both demos by Sealed - directly from TG-33

http://www.rolandsynthesis.com/tmp/demos/TG-33+SY-35.mp3

one ambient (down slow) demo i made, layered TG-33 with (twin brother) SY-35

Keep in mind all this coming from a synth that even doesn't have a proper effects section (just some crippled delay). Imagine it's sound with JD effects section!! Oh, and it has no filter too.

• Members

I'm happy with the DX patches in my G2X. They respond to velocity in a satisfyingly life-like manner. Its like night and day compared to rompler simulations of DX sounds.

My last FM synth was the FB01, which I dumped years ago.

Archived