tonebender vs. fuzzface for Faces "Stay With Me" sound

bikehorn

• Members

I'm dying for a fuzz to push my Traynor YGM-3 over the edge but unfortunately have never been able to try many out. Recently my friend loaned me his Little Big Muff and I've been playing around with it. I had high hopes but i'm not crazy about the sound. Granted, I was only able to try it out through a crappy little Marshall MG15 but it was obvious that it wasn't what I was looking for. It has too little note definition and lacks the grit I want. Just sounds really creamy...so I ruled it out.

I love Jimmy Page's sound, so the tonebender is a strong consideration but I also love Ron Wood's tone on albums by The Faces. what kind of fuzz was he using in those days on songs like "stay with me", "pool hall richard" etc? Someone told me it was a Fuzzface but never having played one I don't know what it sounds like. Anyway, what kind of fuzz would take me into that territory? I need old school balls to the wall blues rock slide tone, all other sonic versatility-related issues are secondary.

thanks

• Members

Well, I own a traynor guitarmate ygm2, sola supatonebender and a fuzz face so I might be able to help, With a tele, the tonebender into the ygm = jimmy page led zep I and II...it is really really close. Fuzz face just doesn't get into that territory of heaviness -- that 70's stoner sludge rock sound is so easy to dial in. Tonebender is not as versatile as some of the newer fuzz pedals out there in terms of dialing in sounds with the guitar volumes but it is very responsive to the guitar's tone controls and you can get several shades of the same tone. Conversely, something like my Foxrox fuzzfoot gets me several great sounds using only my guitar controls but it isn't as perfect for the Jimi Page sound. Also the tonebender sounds very smooth with hummers. Fuzzface (unless it is vintage) doesn't compare to either of those in my mind. Hope this helps.

Can't quite remember the stay with me sound but I seem to recall I used the fuzzfoot to 95% nail it....as previously stated there are lots of great tones in it.

Edit: I should say that I have recently taken the supertonebender out of the closet after using fuzzface, fuzzfoot for the past couple of years and I am totally stunned by how much I love it....I can't remember loving it so much.

• Members

I love Jimmy Page's sound, so the tonebender is a strong consideration but I also love Ron Wood's tone on albums by The Faces. what kind of fuzz was he using in those days on songs like "stay with me", "pool hall richard" etc? Someone told me it was a Fuzzface but never having played one I don't know what it sounds like. Anyway, what kind of fuzz would take me into that territory? I need old school balls to the wall blues rock slide tone, all other sonic versatility-related issues are secondary.

thanks

It sounds like either a Fuzz Face or a two transistor Tone Bender [Ron Wood]. I would go with the two transistor Tone Bender over the Fuzz Face. Just like the guy from D*A*M says [on his site] "it's the way a Fuzz Face should sound" and he's right on with that. I see them on ebay all the time and they don't run that much.

Archived