C5

C11

C18

C19

C105

C106

*Different bias pots

*Custom Shop has Carling switches

*The first Professional Tube Amplifier posted has plastic tube sockets.

P.S. If you remove the disc cap on V1 from your amp it will give more treble and harmonics. Many people think the Prosonic is too dark (I did) and removed it from mine. Even Bruce Zinky recommends this and said he wasn't sure what he was thinking when he did it. It definitely rolls off treble.

Ok, you've got a good eye. But really, those differences aren't going to make a dramatic difference in the sound or even the quality. Yes, they'll save a few bucks on the valve sockets, but other than that, you're talking a handful of caps, a couple of switches, and a single pot. Not exactly what I would call "custom shop" trimmings. If the amp was PTP, sure, I could see how it would be worth more. It takes more time to build an amp PTP and PTP amps are easier to work on. Still, the differences you've posted aren't earth shattering. Maybe if you found some of that literature you were talking about and you scanned it, but even then we're really just arguing semantics. Nothing about that amp you have screams "custom shop" to me. That's a mass-produced amp.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I already posted the book info that has the 1995 reprint of the Prosonic from the Fender Amp catalog. Here it is again.

**Go to Google books and read in the book preview:

**Fender Amps: The First Fifty Years

**By John Teagle, John Sprung

**On page 139 Custom Amp Shop 1993-present

**On page 141 right next to the top of the line Dual Professional

And if you read my earlier posts I never said hand wired - I said hand assembled. Although I have more PTP wired amps, I have nothing against a good PCB amps. I like the pots, jacks, and switches hand wired. Mounting them all on one board is not service friendly or as reliable.

If you've never tried different tone caps in the same circuit then you don't know how much they can voice the amp. Far more than tubes. Tubes change the EQ curve of the amp a bit and can effect output, but caps can effect bandwidth in a way that changes the sound no matter what tubes are in there. Especially in the tone and coupling stages.

There's nothing about the Custom Shop Prosonic that couldn't be modified on the Professional model. But the fact that the first 250 are an interesting quirk in the history of Fender's Custom Amp Shop and happen to have nice parts is notable. Whether it means anything to you is definitely up for debate.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i didn't read the whole thread and i know it is an old one.

The first 250 ever produced didn't read Custom Shop, they read Fender Musical Instruments, how do i know?

I happened to own one, in the seafoam green.

Those are the ones that have a good value, they are the ones made by the Custom Shop actually.

Pic:

cleanprosonic.jpg

cleanProsonicback.jpg

• 6 years later...

Archived