Tonelab a lot better than Magicstomp??

• Members

I don't have much love and respect the Magicstomp gets around here anymore, but I'm going to ask this question anyway...

How much better is the Vox Tonelab SE / LE than the Magicstomp???

If you didn't know, the Magicstomp has 32-bit DSP and extremely high quality reverb, delay, and some other modulations as well. The amps models are just OK... but definitely too "digital" IMO.

Anyway, I've put down the Magicstomp for the most part, but now I'm getting that digital MFX modeling itch again, If I had the money and was to make a choice, I'd probably go with the new Tonelab LE. BUT, I really have to know if the tone difference in the amp models is really a heck of a lot better than the Magicstomp. (I'm supposing the Tonelab amps will readily beat the amp models on even Roland Microcube.)

Later,

-- Joe

P.S. I'm never expecting digital amps to sound like my tube amps... but I do want my next amp modeling purchase to have some "feel" and sound more musical.

• Members

The Tonelab and Magicstomp are, in a sense, good complements. The Tonelab's best qualities are authentic and realistic sounding/responding amp and overdrive models. It's shortcomings are its lack of headroom, quantity and programmability of effects - things at which the Magicstomp excels.

As for which is better, I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. If you have a good amp and just want a plethora of good mod/delay/reverb effects to have around, I'd think you'd prefer the Magicstomp. If you already have a bunch of effects and want something to plug them into that sounds like a good amp, I'd think you'd prefer the Tonelab.

• Members

MrMunky,

Thanks. When you say the Tonelab lacks "headroom" it is effects.... can you tell me more about what you mean?

As for how I'd use the Tonelab, for the most part, it would be just for playing in my bedroom for practice. I'm thinking of getting the SE or LE and plugging it into a Fender Pro Jr. Occasionally I would also use the SE or LE in my basement to crank with my tube amps into a 2x12 cab.

Right now, my bedroom practice amp is the Microcube, which is really very, very cool for an amp you can even carry outside to play. But I'd like to have something with better quality amp sounds.

00 Joe

Archived