New here! Need help with XP-30

EVENTH

Guest Anonymous

What's happening! I'm new to Synths and I need to know if I can get that old Moog sound out of my XP-30? (I need to do some Rush keys.) Thanks!

Hello EVENTH. Welcome to the forum.

I have a Roland XP-60 which is similar to the XP-30. You should be able to get some Moog like sounds from that keyboard/synth. Have you gone through all the presets to see if there are any Moog like patches?

Im pretty sure that there are Moog waveforms which can be used to make a patch to your liking.

• Members

I'm new to Synths and I need to know if I can get that old Moog sound out of my XP-30?

Could you be a bit more specific - e.g. which Rush song, and which Moog (there's several models)? Do you have a Youtube video or sound example?

• Members

Here's a recipe you can use. I assume you just have a "default" XP-30 with no expansion boards.

Go to Expansion board C (Techno) and choose preset 161 (Simply June). That's a sound that gets pretty close, but we have to adjust it.

Hit EDIT. Choose "TVF" (this option can be found just below the display in the middle row). You see a row of numbers and letters and whatever you're editing has a blinking line below it. The button below TVF blinks, too.

Using the left and right cursors (next to the dial) you can choose what you want to change.

Go to "Type" and change it from BPF to LPF (using the wheel you can choose different options).

Go to "Cut" and change it to 104, change "Res" to 5.

Now, choose the option "WAVE". The light of that button starts to blink. You'll see XP-C 021 "TB SAW". Change it to INT-B 034 P5 Saw B.

Choose the option "CONTROL". Set ASSIGN to Solo. Set LEGATO to On. Press the "down" cursor button. Set TIME to 11.

To get the LFO working like it should (warning: rocket surgery ahead):

Choose LFO. Click the "down" cursor twice so you end up on LFO 2. Set Form to Tri, set Rate to 90. Go down again, set Delay to 0, Fade to 25.

Choose CONTROL. Go down until you see CONTROL SOURCE in the left of the screen. Set Control 2 to MODULATION.

Go down again until you see CONTROL 2 in the left of the screen. It's divided in 4 pieces. Set the first to PL2 (that's Pitch LFO) and set the value next to it to "+13". Set the rest to OFF and the value to 0.

Save this sound. Hit UTIL/CARD. "WRITE" is selected. Press ENTER. It'll complain that the memory is write-protected, and it'll move on to the Memory Protect page. Set it to OFF, hit ENTER again, and save the preset over one of the USER presets. All of these are duplicates of what's in the XP-30, so if you haven't made any sounds yourself yet, you're not losing anything. Hit ENTER to save.

Go to UTIL/CARD again, use the cursor to go to option nr. 5 (PROTECT), hit ENTER. Set INTERNAL to ON.

Hit EXIT 3 times in a row. You're done.

See why some people prefer to buy an entirely separate synth for this? ;)

The basic waveforms lack a certain brightness so you might have to solve this using an equalizer or something.

• Members

Here's a recipe you can use. I assume you just have a "default" XP-30 with no expansion boards.

Go to Expansion board C (Techno) and choose preset 161 (Simply June). That's a sound that gets pretty close, but we have to adjust it.

Hit EDIT. Choose "TVF" (this option can be found just below the display in the middle row). You see a row of numbers and letters and whatever you're editing has a blinking line below it. The button below TVF blinks, too.

Using the left and right cursors (next to the dial) you can choose what you want to change.

Go to "Type" and change it from BPF to LPF (using the wheel you can choose different options).

Go to "Cut" and change it to 104, change "Res" to 5.

Now, choose the option "WAVE". The light of that button starts to blink. You'll see XP-C 021 "TB SAW". Change it to INT-B 034 P5 Saw B.

Choose the option "CONTROL". Set ASSIGN to Solo. Set LEGATO to On. Press the "down" cursor button. Set TIME to 11.

To get the LFO working like it should (warning: rocket surgery ahead):

Choose LFO. Click the "down" cursor twice so you end up on LFO 2. Set Form to Tri, set Rate to 90. Go down again, set Delay to 0, Fade to 25.

Choose CONTROL. Go down until you see CONTROL SOURCE in the left of the screen. Set Control 2 to MODULATION.

Go down again until you see CONTROL 2 in the left of the screen. It's divided in 4 pieces. Set the first to PL2 (that's Pitch LFO) and set the value next to it to "+13". Set the rest to OFF and the value to 0.

Save this sound. Hit UTIL/CARD. "WRITE" is selected. Press ENTER. It'll complain that the memory is write-protected, and it'll move on to the Memory Protect page. Set it to OFF, hit ENTER again, and save the preset over one of the USER presets. All of these are duplicates of what's in the XP-30, so if you haven't made any sounds yourself yet, you're not losing anything. Hit ENTER to save.

Go to UTIL/CARD again, use the cursor to go to option nr. 5 (PROTECT), hit ENTER. Set INTERNAL to ON.

Hit EXIT 3 times in a row. You're done.

See why some people prefer to buy an entirely separate synth for this?
;)

The basic waveforms lack a certain brightness so you might have to solve this using an equalizer or something.

It worked! The only thing is when I'm playing the notes, it seems to gradually fade fade out. Did I mess something up?

• Members

There's a description of the envelopes in the manual - they're not ADSR (in other words, manageable and understandable) but so-called Time/Level envelopes.

The diagram in the manual explains every time and level slice, but to stop it from fading away, I think you need the L2 and L3 levels (bear with me, I'm doing this purely from memory!) set to 127 (maximum).

I could check the details, but essentially the waveform should look like a block - like this: _|

• Members

Nothing at all ;). Except that it migh be interesting to look at an Alesis Ion if you have to do more of this; makes the job lots and lots easier.

Or the cheaper solution; the Vintage Synth expansion board for the XP-30. Catch 'm on eBay.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah the Ion might be an option since I'ne joined a classic rock band. I'm actually the bass player / keyboard player. Is it really that easy to get those sounds from it?

Yes, it really is. Have you listened to any of the demo presets?

I have an Ion. Im thinking about selling it.

Do you have the link for the demos?

• Members

Is it really that easy to get those sounds from it?

You'll find several classics with names that give a strong hint to where they came from in the factory presets :).

Now, with the XP you'd have to adjust 8 numbers on a display. Adjust 1 using the dial, move the cursor to the right, adjust (and hope you're doing it right) and repeat until done.

On the Ion it only takes 2 knob turns - much more intuitive. Also, editing anything else - it's all there in front of you.

• Members

I did listen to some of the online demos and was impressed. For the price it might be worth it since I don't want to hassle with scrolling through menus and turning nobs on stage. But....is it too much for what I'm doing? I mean it might get limited use for the $$$.:confused:

• Members

Yeah, you could try that first - advantage is that if you don't like it enough, you can re-sell it pretty quickly.. for the same price, usually.

Still, 150 is pretty steep. I paid 75 euros ($100) for mine.

Archived