acoustic simulator pedals

• Members

The Acoustic sim pedals can be somewhat useful. Here's a $20 Behringer in action with a Heritage H-535:

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/Ac.mp3

But they aren't great, and take a lot of effort to get them even in the ballpark. Plus they're noisy.

The Fishman/LR Baggs Piezo bridge is a much better option in terms of tone, noise, usefulness. In most cases you should be able to install them without any permanent modification to the guitar. HOWEVER you MUST use an active preamp with the piezo bridge for it to not sound like ass. The LR Baggs Control X does the job great, just basically replaces a volume knob on your guitar, and costs a hundred bucks - all built in. You can also use a Fishman Powerblend, which is an outboard preamp, but you start to defeat the purpose of having it all in one.

Here's an LR Baggs bridge in action:

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/idea2.mp3

• Members

The Acoustic sim pedals can be somewhat useful. Here's a $20 Behringer in action with a Heritage H-535:

But they aren't great, and take a lot of effort to get them even in the ballpark. Plus they're noisy.

The Fishman/LR Baggs Piezo bridge is a much better option in terms of tone, noise, usefulness. In most cases you should be able to install them without any permanent modification to the guitar. HOWEVER you MUST use an active preamp with the piezo bridge for it to not sound like ass. The LR Baggs Control X does the job great, just basically replaces a volume knob on your guitar, and costs a hundred bucks - all built in. You can also use a Fishman Powerblend, which is an outboard preamp, but you start to defeat the purpose of having it all in one.

Here's an LR Baggs bridge in action:

thanks!

i'll check them out

and i didn't know about the preamp.... damn it! i actually dunno what that is

• Members

i used to use a boss ac2. it sounded half like an acoustic in a live situation but was really noisy, lots of hiss. it tends to make you disappear in a band mix though. sold it eventually as using just a clean channel and neck pickup sounds better and you can actually make out whats being played.

• Members

ive never used one but if i found one cheap, id probably pick it up just for the sake of trying it. i always thought it was cool how bands switch from distortion to acoustic...but you cant switch guitars that quickly in a song...hmm

• 1 year later...
  • Members

i used to use a boss ac2. it sounded half like an acoustic in a live situation but was really noisy, lots of hiss. it tends to make you disappear in a band mix though. sold it eventually as using just a clean channel and neck pickup sounds better and you can actually make out whats being played.

I had an ac2 as well and did not like it. Very noisy (lots of hiss) and hard to dial in a tone that cuts through the mix. Doesn't work well with humbuckers either. I did find, however, that if you run it to a seperate amp (the ac2 and ac3 have an extra output jack) it works much better as you can control the volume through the amp.

Archived