New QOTSA album Era Vulgaris... any thoughts?

johnrambo

• Members

I was going to buy it the other day, but then remembered how dissapointing the previous album was and decided not to.

I really like Queens Of The Stoneage, I just don't like what they've become in recent times and albums.

• Members

Songs For The Deaf is their masterpiece without a doubt. I have a soft spot for Rated R as well.

If I had to put Era Vulgaris with one of their previous albums, it'd be Rated R for the odd-ball feel of it. This album is more about songs instead of riffs (the first three) or self-indulgence (Lullabies). It's a very "Yeah, alright" toe-tapper CD in spots and then very chill in others.

Standouts for me:
Turning On The Screw - I like everything about it.
Into The Hollow - The chorus has been stuck in my head for days.
River In The Road - kinda took me by surprise... sounds more Troy-based.

Overall, I back it as an album. After the first spin was done, I wanted to hear it again. I've listened to it several times now and I'm still not sick of any songs.

• Members

This album reminds me a lot of rated r, in terms of it's a bit more mellow and a lot more left of center. I think the whole album with the exception of like 2 or 3 songs is great. I'm designer is one of the worst tracks...but even it's not too bad. It's definitely a different album for them but it's great, I think. It holds up just fine with their greats like rated r and songs for the deaf.

• Members

I haven't got around to buying a copy, yet. I only have a 56k modem, too. :( I read a couple of reviews, and it sounds good in principle, unless, of course, the songs suck. Some of their earlier songs have a way of meandering, and I really liked Rated R. Surprised that nobody's mentioned their self-titled album either.

• Members

I picked the new album up a few days ago. I think it's okay, nothing amazing though. "3's and 7's" is a bad-ass track--has probably one of the best riffs they've ever released on record. Overall though, the album really sounds like a bunch of new guys and then Josh Homme. "Sick, Sick, Sick" is a terrible song, sounds way too much like a Foo Fighters song. I was hoping they would release something close to their self-titled album (my favorite by them) but so much for that.

• Members

i like it a lot. not my favorite but expecting a band to release the same album over and over again is dumb.

most of the songs i wasnt into right away are quickly growing on me like a pickle in the hot summer sun.

songs for the deaf is one of my favorite albums of all times, all genres- for realsies- bigtime.:)

Archived