Band in a box????

• Members

So a couple of weeks ago I'm at home watching Jay Leno and he had some 3-piece band playing at the end of the show (can't recall who it was). The band consisted of a guitarist, bassist, and drummer (guitarist was doing vocals - maybe there was a 4 person singing as well - don't recall). Anway, I'm sitting there listening and I'm like "there's keys or strings or something in the background - wonder if the house band is helping out"... hmm...

So, they pan over for a quick shot of the house band and, no, they're just there watching, no one is playing. I'm like "what the heck?"...

Then I notice that the drummer has this "box" next to his snare that he hits with his drum stick on every chord change and I'm like ... hmm...

Well, we have a 3-piece band and I'm wondering what type of effects options are out there that I could use, say with a foot switch, to bring in strings or something during different songs.

Any ideas?

• Members

Your options become much greater if your drummer uses a click track. Then you could write and perform your entire songs to a click, and incorporate all manner of pre recorded MIDI arrangements into your song by syncing up various modules etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some dedicated things for drummers can do this.

Archived