FYI: Shipping guitars UPS

johnrambo

• Members

here's something interesting i learned/confirmed today. when shipping guitars thru UPS, their extra insurance is useless unless you allow them to package the guitar. i had heard this mentioned before so i asked the front desk person at the UPS store, after she tried to sell me extra insurance, to call someone and ask about this. sure enough, it's true. unless the guitar is packaged by their standards they won't back the insurance but they don't really offer any information concerning their packaging standards that i know of. if anyone can provide any more info about this please do. the worse thing is that the employees at the store aren't even aware of this and sell this extra insurance all the time.

• Members

I got held up at fedex last week because a guy was trying to insure a small package for $1000..After a ruckus involving racial comments and it's a profile thing, the employee opened the box to find your common ordinary kmart drinking glass...The manager said it happens all the time..What a scam.Insure a $2 glass and break it when it arrives...Pretty stupid idea...But that messes it up for everyone...

• Members

to add, i'm not trying to blame/bash UPS here or anything. it doesn't make sense to insure a package unless you first see the contents. i just don't like the fact that they don't tell their employees this and they sell extra insurance to everyone.

• Members

Or....

The employees are playing stupid, because hey, why not take the extra cash for the insurance, and when the guitar arrives in 3 different boxes, well hell, the extra insurance doesn't cover it. I'm not saying they're scamming, but wouldn't be surprised if they were. Purolator Courier up here in Canada won't insure anything unless they can look at it first. Plus, with guitars anyway, I needed an appraisal form from a music store proving it was worth the amount I wanted to insure it for or they wouldn't do it. I ended up sending it through Canada Post (which owns Purolator Courier btw) with no issues.

Archived