Question about an OD pedal and my setup

• Members

Right now I am playing a Lonestar Strat through a tuner and straight into an Orange Rocker 30. Right now I have no way of quickly switching from light overdrive to hard distortion so I am thinking of buying an overdrive pedal. I have very little experience with effects pedals so be gentle :) I have my heart set on the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine right now, but I have a question. If I am using the pedal for overdrive through the clean channel and have the dirty channel set for high gain, I won't be able to switch the pedal off and the dirty channel on simultaneously so what do I do? Will leaving the pedal on affect my dirty channel sound a lot? Thanks for your time.

• Members

You could try using your amp's overdrive for the light stuff and using a pedal to either boost signal or add more distortion to your amp's distortion. In this scenario, I have no idea if the Subdecay would work -- I have no experience with it -- but there are probably a ton of pedals that could help you with this. Depending on the type of gain you want, a tubescreamer or ProCo Rat would probably get the job done.

• Members

Leaving the OD on and switching to the distortion channel won't hurt your amp . As for switching the OD off & channel changing simulataneously: you'll probably get used to switching them smoothly enough that the transition won't be so bad.

There was a mod that was posted here before where they put a true bypass loop into the Orange footswitch, so that when you switched channels it automatically took the pedal (in your case, an OD) out of the loop. I can't find the pics and info, but maybe someone else can. I'm always amazed what people here can dig up.

• Members

The Subdecay is a really nice pedal and a great choice. Switching initally to your lead channel and then turning the pedal off next should be pretty un-noticiable with a quick pedal dance.

ok so that is just like the normal thing to do? that's cool i guess, and good to know that the sound difference won't be too big. thanks for your input.

• Members

As for the OD affecting your distorted tones, it will totally be dependent on how you set the OD & gain channel up. The cleaner you setup the OD, the less likely it will muddle up your gain channel. Likewise, the less gain you setup your gain channel, the more affected it will be by a boost or OD in front.

• Members
You could try using your amp's overdrive for the light stuff and using a pedal to either boost signal or add more distortion to your amp's distortion. In this scenario, I have no idea if the Subdecay would work -- I have no experience with it -- but there are probably a ton of pedals that could help you with this. Depending on the type of gain you want, a tubescreamer or ProCo Rat would probably get the job done.

well i don't think i will be dumping the rocker's distortion for a pedal since i didn't exactly buy it for its clean tone :)

• Members

Leaving the OD on and switching to the distortion channel won't hurt your amp . As for switching the OD off & channel changing simulataneously: you'll probably get used to switching them smoothly enough that the transition won't be so bad.

There was a mod that was posted here before where they put a true bypass loop into the Orange footswitch, so that when you switched channels it automatically took the pedal (in your case, an OD) out of the loop. I can't find the pics and info, but maybe someone else can. I'm always amazed what people here can dig up.

wow i missed this reply earlier. that sounds awesome! please somebody fill me in about this if you know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who may wonder this in the future. I've received my Liquid Sunshine and the Orange footswitch and the LS are close enough in height so they can be positioned closely together to hit both switches simultaneously. Thanks for the input guys.

Archived