MXR blue box + big muff?

RyanDC

• Members

Blue Box is mud on chords unless the blend is dialed out...Also, it's got a volume drop that is annoying as hell (even after the mod I can't remember the name of), so much so that it's hard to use it in live situations w/o a boost of some kind after it...

I run my Big Muff after it, but that kind of muddies up the effect of the BB. But I have a tendency to crank the sustain on the Muff, so maybe if you dimmed the sustain it wouldn't affect it as much...

It's too bad about the volume drop, cuz I really like the sound I get out of it...It would be good for recording, but by itself in gigs, it's hard to justify keeping it on my board...'cept for that one solo the rest of the band quiets down for...

• Members

I think the combination of Gtr - Blue Box - Big Muff - Amp sounds weird. I can't really describe it 100%, but it seemed to take a lot of definition out of what was being played thru it. However, throwing a lighter distortion pedal between the Blue Box and Big Muff (and maybe even a wah) makes it sound normal and pretty gigantic. It's really noisy though. I think rolling the tone control back on the guitar and maybe using the neck pickup works really well on the Blue Box as far as tracking is concerned.

That's my experience, at least. I was using a NYC RI BMP and a RI Blue Box. I also used a DS-1 and a Rat between them, along with a Digitech Synth Wah.

Archived