Looking for a better / cheaper Auto Filter

Janalon

• Members

Sometime last year I had $$$ to burn and decided to buy a filter pedal to get that Grateful Dead / moe. sound. I tried three pedals: Q-tron, Maxon AF9, and the Emma DiscumBOBulator. The Q was too huge. The Emma sounded too soft, and understated. So I bought the Maxon.

Honeymoon is over. I barely use the pedal. It was difficult to dial in a good tone, and take some work playing to get it to sound halfway decent. I'm GASSING, was thinking about selling to try something new and cheaper.

Any recommendations? Maybe a mini-Q or DOD clone (like a Tone Factor Analogue Filter). Something true bypass and in the $100 range.

• Members

I'd like to know what people think about the Mini Q too. Sounds good in the sound clips..

I have a mini-Q and like it just fine, although it does seem to boost the signal a bit.

Here's an interactive demo, BTW

http://guitarpedal.com/listen/el-miniq.html

as for the OP, other than the ones already mentioned, there's a BYOC kit you may want to consider.

• Members

i had the mini-Q for a while, and it sounded pretty good for the money (mind you, this was the first filter I had ever tried). i just hated the size of it though, it took up too much space on my board. i ended up getting rid of it, mainly because i wasn't using it enough.

• Members

I have the Mini Q-tron and it is still the best one I have played. The size is a bitch though and I would love to find something smaller to fit it on my board. I have tried the EMMA but I felt the same as you, it sounded too soft and weak. I was amped up about the Micro Q when it came out....until I tried it. Maybe it was me or the setup I was using but it just didn't sound as good as my Mini Q. There was annoying mid frequency that I couldn't get around and it just didn't sound as deep and chewy as the Mini Q.

So I have been gassing for an Ibanez/Maxon AF-9 for a while now and that will be my next purchase. You say its difficult to dial in? I hope its not the case with me because I don't know of any other affordable compact envelope filter that sounds as good as the Q-tron.

• Members
I have the Mini Q-tron and it is still the best one I have played. The size is a bitch though and I would love to find something smaller to fit it on my board. I have tried the EMMA but I felt the same as you, it sounded too soft and weak. I was amped up about the Micro Q when it came out....until I tried it. Maybe it was me or the setup I was using but it just didn't sound as good as my Mini Q. There was annoying mid frequency that I couldn't get around and it just didn't sound as deep and chewy as the Mini Q.

So I have been gassing for an Ibanez/Maxon AF-9 for a while now and that will be my next purchase. You say its difficult to dial in? I hope its not the case with me because I don't know of any other affordable compact envelope filter that sounds as good as the Q-tron.

When I say difficult to dial in, there are so many options on the switchers alone. The manual gives some good options, but there are others to be had. Some "interesting", some ugly. I've struggled to find a chewy, but musical tone. So when I've tweaked the pedal, I get lost in the settings and get into that not-so-great sounding territory. That's where I get frustrated.

That and the filter is so quick to open/close. I've had some luck placing mild compression with a slower attack right before the filter. That has allowed me to hold a note sustained, without the filter closing and chopping off a note. Though that takes out a good chunk of the filter sweep. I've had better luck with the comp after to even out the volume.

It sounds like you've had the opportunity to play test quite a few filters. I'd be interested to give the mini Q a try. Though the DOD is one I haven't had a chance to look at. Seems that's the filter of choice for Radiohead and moe. Plus it sounds like a more controllable filter-- not as much over-the-top. Certainly less options to dial.

Do you have the opportunity to play test the AF9? I'd be interested in someone's opinion who has played the Maxon/Ibanez.

af9G.jpg

• Members
When I say difficult to dial in, there are so many options on the switchers alone. The manual gives some good options, but there are others to be had. Some "interesting", some ugly. I've struggled to find a chewy, but musical tone. So when I've tweaked the pedal, I get lost in the settings and get into that not-so-great sounding territory. That's where I get frustrated.

That and the filter is so quick to open/close. I've had some luck placing mild compression with a slower attack right before the filter. That has allowed me to hold a note sustained, without the filter closing and chopping off a note. Though that takes out a good chunk of the filter sweep. I've had better luck with the comp after to even out the volume.

It sounds like you've had the opportunity to play test quite a few filters. I'd be interested to give the mini Q a try. Though the DOD is one I haven't had a chance to look at. Seems that's the filter of choice for Radiohead and moe. Plus it sounds like a more controllable filter-- not as much over-the-top. Certainly less options to dial.

Do you have the opportunity to play test the AF9? I'd be interested in someone's opinion who has played the Maxon/Ibanez.

af9G.jpg

I pm'ed you back. :wave:

• Members

I love the Maxon AF-9, particularly for the tones I was able to dial in out of the box. I try to have mine first in the chain, since it really does react strongly to your picking technique, but I found that's what made it so powerful.

I haven't A/B'ed envelope filters extensively, but the Maxon really sounded much better than my friend's Mutron reissue (HAZ III), which I hear is a far cry from the Mutrons of the past.

To be fair, there are a bunch of sounds in it, but I don't think it's hard to tweak some good ones out of it by any stretch. All just in my experience.

• Members

whats up with the tone factor analog filter? it's gone from their site?

The Tonefactor pedals are changing their name to Mojo Hand. They just blew out the last of the TF branded ones and don't seem to have the new ones up yet. I have an Analog Filter and love it.

Archived