Yamaha CP-70(B)CP-80 CP-60m etc.

niclaslyk

• Members

I wish I had also bought the EP608 I came across when I was looking for an electric acoustic. Is was a unique piece of gear. Although not as impressive as the CP's, it was still a very interesting piano. :rolleyes: Sound is somewhere between a thin CP and a Clavinet...

kawai.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My CP-80 is much more stable than my Clavinet, or what I used before... a Baldwin Electro-Pro.

balwin_ep.jpg

I played with a band in the early 80's that had a Baldwin Electro-pro piano. It was very heavy and needed tuning a lot but it sounded like an acoustic piano and we were proud to have it. It was a lot cheaper than a Yamaha CP, which we couldn't afford.

• Members

Yeah that's it! That's what I used through most of the 1970s. A Rhodes, which a lot of guys used as a piano substitute, was just too mushy for rock. There were a few around Seattle back then. The band Heart used one.

• Members

Me too! I carried the Baldwin for at least 5 years on the road. Tuning wasn't bad because I built an enormous road case for it. I could have stacked 4 or 5 dead bodies in that case. The bass strings were not quite as tubby sounding as the CP pianos, but the grand action of the CPs was FAR superior.

• Members

I've found an ebay listing for a cp90-B. Is this a mistake? I've only heard of the 60, 70, and 80. Here's a link:

I have seen this for sale on Ebay 3 times, i think, and there is still one at the moment. It looks like the same all the times.

There is nothing called a CP-90B!!I said that to the seller, but the seller told me that beside the serial number there was written CP-90B.???I don't think he/she can read, because i have never heard of that model.

If someone wanna hear a CP in action, then look at this link:

Cesar Camargo Mariano plays really nice!!

Here is a picture of my Yamaha CP-70B

• Members

:rolleyes:
Strange, it doesn't look like a CP70 either ....

So is there a CP90B after all ???
:rolleyes:

No, it does look totally like a CP-70. I'm 110% sure that this is a CP-70. So i don't trust the seller!!!

If there is someone who have a original owners manual for a CP-70B, and might want to get a lot of money for that manual, then tell me, because i'm looking for a original one and i want to pay a lot for it!!

• Members

Well, I'm going to go over and look at it this afternoon. I've been looking to buy one for ages; this is the first time I've found one for sale within a 180 mile radius. I'll let y'all know what I find out. Anything specific you can suggest I check for? It's sitting at a pawn shop this woman owns and she clearly knows absolutely nothing about it...

• Members

Well, I'm going to go over and look at it this afternoon. I've been looking to buy one for ages; this is the first time I've found one for sale within a 180 mile radius. I'll let y'all know what I find out. Anything specific you can suggest I check for? It's sitting at a pawn shop this woman owns and she clearly knows absolutely nothing about it...

So, did you bought the piano?

• Members

Oh my gosh! It is in fact a 70B (thanks everyone) that has every stock piece included. The original power cord looks as though it had been used about 25 times in as many years. Leg braces, sustain pedal rod, chain, all those things that go missing over time are right there, packaged nicely. Inside is super clean, all knobs, inputs work perfectly. I almost jumped up and down yelling and screaming in the garage of this pawn shop.

The woman selling it did not, indeed, have any idea what she had or what she was talking about but since it had in fact been listed on Ebay 3 times (again, thanks guys) she sold it to me on the spot for her reserve price of............. $800. After I bought it I learned that it was a church piano, brought in by the minister who works part time at the pawn shop (weird) when his church upgraded. Good lord...

• Members

Hey, congrats !! about 10 years ago I had someone selling a CP70 which was blong to her ex-housband. She said he was using it when he was playing some Swedish prog band in the 70s.... idn't bought it as that time. Too bad...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

If there is someone who have a original owners manual for a CP-70B, and might want to get a lot of money for that manual, then tell me, because i'm looking for a original one and i want to pay a lot for it!!

I have a PDF of it if that helps...

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have a CP70 with three broken hammers and seven broken flanges...anybody (anywhere) have a junker who could unscrew a few hammers (at the flange_) I'll gladly pay....I ALSO need a damper pedal....where could these be found....I LOOOOVE the instrument...and I'm a piano technician so I could just replace the flanges with the standard Yamaha flange but those hammers are very special babys with that neoprene inside the leather.

KEN

• Members

The CP pianos are heavy and need TLC but if you want an electromechanical piano they're the gold standard. When I used to roady many bands had them and I gained an appreciation for the construction and sound of those pianos.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hello,

I have just purchased a yamaha cp60m. When played, I find that the base notes are much much louder than the high notes. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this. Perhaps it is the amp I am using? using a Peavey Amp KB-A15 (it is an acoustic-type amp that came with it).

I tried adjusting the EQ, but that just makes the base notes sound thinner - they still output the same in sound level (i.e. much louder than the high piano notes)

thanks for the help!!!

• Members

Hello,

I have just purchased a yamaha cp60m. When played, I find that the base notes are much much louder than the high notes. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this. Perhaps it is the amp I am using? using a Peavey Amp KB-A15 (it is an acoustic-type amp that came with it).

I tried adjusting the EQ, but that just makes the base notes sound thinner - they still output the same in sound level (i.e. much louder than the high piano notes)

thanks for the help!!!

Hi,

My CP60M sounds very balanced all over the keyboard so there could be some kind of an electronic problem.

You might want to try the Yamama CP Yahoo ! group for more help (link below)

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Hello,

thanks for the help!!!

Hi. I know this problem very well. This seems to be old topic but please post answer if you want to know my solution. This problem is very common... I think it's normal issue among cp-60m pianos.

• 1 year later...

Archived