Stupid amp question

• Members

I'm inexperienced with amps really and was just thinking about something. I'm talking 2 or 3 channel tube amps. Is the dirt on the dirt channel created by pre-amp or power-amp? I'm thinking, how can it be power-amp induced, as you can get amp dirt at lower volumes, whereas power-amp induced dirt needs to be {censored}in loud right? But, if it is pre-amp dirt, then howcome everyone goes on about how good tube amp dirt is, since tube pre-amp dirt differs very little from bee in a box ss pre-amp dirt? Please help!

• Members

it's in the pre-amp (almost all use 12ax7 tubes..nowadays) and is determined by the amount of gain stages (soldano will have up to 5 gain stages) and a function of the bypass capacitor and resistor values. removing the bypass capicator will give you an unclipped signal, .....clipping and yet retains the characteristics of the tubes (tubes produce even order harmonics that are pleasing to the ear). adding diodes in the circuit will produce further distortion..... as opposed to overdrive. almost all pre-amps are cathode biased. i, myself, like a creamy, buttery, smooth drive channel.....no semi-conductors. dry enough :)

• Members

I read an article about recording distorted guitar where it described the optimum volume to be at the point where you can both see the speaker really moving and also feel the cabinet resonating.

Since you're gonna be pretty loud at that point you can be sure that your tubes are going pretty hard.

Archived