Is a compressor the answer?

jumpduck

• Members

Hi, fella's, sorry, I'm sure this has been addressed countless times, but with the search function down....

I'm looking to increase sustain: I work mainly with a very clean sound, and use a TS-9 or BD-2 to add punch or drive for single note leads, and I'm just not happy with the amount of sustain I can generate. Would a compressor be the way to go, or do you know of something else that works as well/better? The noise from most compressor's I've heard is a concern. Thanks.

• Members

I don't think it will increase sustain like what you are looking for. Without gain the sustain is going to mostly come from the guitar and the playing. I hope this is not insulting to your playing level - if it is please forgive me as I don't mean it to be that way but have your tried just using your fingers to create more vibrato with your sustaining notes? Also, a very subtle delay will help create the illusion of longer ringing notes as well.

• Members

Would a compressor be the way to go, or do you know of something else that works as well/better? The noise from most compressor's I've heard is a concern. Thanks.

Do you have an effects loop on your amp? If so, how about an SPL Transient Designer? I use it quite a lot in the studio, and it does give you something a compressor won't.

Archived