Spank'd that Bad Monkey!

ToneJamFX

• Members

I've had one of those Bad Monkey overdrives just laying around for some time. Well, I was just sitting around the house at 3 am, and had finished all my pedal mods that need to go out this week. Then it came to me...can these be modified?

Upon opening it up I saw that it had the dreaded surface mount components. Not one to give up easily I kept looking around, and analyzing what did what. Then it occurred to me...I had a surface mount RC4558 op amp chip! :eek:

I carefully removed the stock chip, and replaced it with the RC4558. Then looking around at other components I was able to change out a few capacitors to the nice Panasonic Stack Metal Film caps. This really helped with clarity of the unit.

When I plugged it in I was immediately impressed. I had an instant mild overdrive much like the TS808. After turning the gain up,and tweaking the EQ section of the Bad Monkey though it took on a whole new personality it didn't have before.

Instead of having a grainy sounding distortion it had a very smooth overdrive. How smooth? Like Santana smooth! :cool:

I found myself noodling around with blues licks, and Latin influenced legato runs that just made me smile. :)

So, yes, we will be offering these as modified pedals just as soon as we have a couple in stock ready to go. :thu:

Peace!

Kevn

• Members

I've had one of those Bad Monkey overdrives just laying around for some time. Well, I was just sitting around the house at 3 am, and had finished all my pedal mods that need to go out this week. Then it came to me...can these be modified?

Upon opening it up I saw that it had the dreaded surface mount components. Not one to give up easily I kept looking around, and analyzing what did what. Then it occurred to me...I had a surface mount RC4558 op amp chip!
:eek:

I carefully removed the stock chip, and replaced it with the RC4558. Then looking around at other components I was able to change out a few capacitors to the nice Panasonic Stack Metal Film caps. This really helped with clarity of the unit.

When I plugged it in I was immediately impressed. I had an instant mild overdrive much like the TS808. After turning the gain up,and tweaking the EQ section of the Bad Monkey though it took on a whole new personality it didn't have before.

Instead of having a grainy sounding distortion it had a very smooth overdrive. How smooth? Like Santana smooth!
:cool:

I found myself noodling around with blues licks, and Latin influenced legato runs that just made me smile.
:)

So, yes, we will be offering these as modified pedals just as soon as we have a couple in stock ready to go.
:thu:

Peace!

Kevn

Doesn't this thing have like 4 surface mounted op amps? My guess is that the RC4558 has a crappier upper range response, which made the pedal sound more smoother... because it has less treble.

Archived