Tube Zipper vs. Qtron

• Members

Theres a new XO Q-Tron + coming out. Wait for that. I sold my tube zipper, definitely the most insane pedal I ever owned, but essentially its an envelope filter with od built in, and every dial interacts with everything else. I own an original Q-Tron and I love it, but I might trade in for a Q-Tron + soon.

• Members

I can vouch for the Qtron+ (original version). It is unique because it has an effects loop built in between the filter and the gain, thus making the pedal more flexible when in combination with other effects. The Tube Zipper does not have this.

I've never played a Tube Zipper, but I plan to buy one eventually. My understanding is that the Tube Zipper allows you to self-oscillate (always a favorite feature of mine with EHX stuff). It allows you to use the distortion without the envelope filter which makes it a multi-fx unit. Also, I'm a sucker for tube pedals, no matter how gimmicky they are. I love the idea of being able to switch out different tubes to create different nuances of sound. It makes the possibilities seem infinite.

• Members

Which one works better for bass?

With the Q-Tron Plus you can have auto wah sounds and turn on and off the dirt pedal in the loop for clean and dirty auto wah. The Tube Zipper sounds great on bass with it's tube distortion but no clean auto wah. So if you don't need clean auto wah the Tube Zipper is better. :)

• Members

Which one works better for bass?

I've seen quite a few people at TalkBass with Q Trons, particularly the Q Tron +. Tube Zippers? Haven't seen any on any boards. However, I can say that the Q Tron is a great slurpy, squishy filter, and the Tube Zipper is more of a wacky, zany oscillating and noisemaking pedal.

Archived