MIDI foot controller question

madryan

• Members

I'm getting a G-Major with the intention of running it in the loop of my Peavey JSX. I also plan on using it to switch channels. My question is this...

What's a good foot controller for not tons of money. I don't need an expression pedal, and I don't need to control individual effects within patches. I just want to set it up for playing gigs/at church where we play say 6 or 7 songs at a time, so if I had 3 or 4 buttons for presets within a bank and at least one bank per song I'd be fine. I'm thinking the nifty little one that Axess Electronics makes, but I'm no sure if it will do what I want.

I'm also open to used stuff if it works well.

• Members

Hey madryan,

Your guitar rig setup of the Peavey JSX, guitar cab, TC Electronics G-Force multi-effects unit is cool, but you will need more than just a MIDI controller to switch your effects presets & amp channels. I recommend the following:

MIDI controllers:

Voodoo Labs: older version Ground Control (v2.4) sells for arond $100.00 used.

Ground Control Pro: $400 new.

Rocktron: MIDI Mate sells for around $100- $150 used.

All Acess MIDI controller is around $400 used.

Axess Electronics: FX-1 MIDI controller is state of the art, but pricey.

MFC-5 MIDI controller is compact & small, but doesn't accept expression controllers. I know of a seller who's selling both the FX-1 and the MFC-5 if you're interested.

You will also need an Axess Electronics CFX-4 control function switcher and its special cable connected to the G-Force MIDI output to switch your amp channels & effects preset together. You'll have to program the CFX-4 to communicate with your G-Force.

It can be powered from a Boss PSA 120T AC adaptor.I scored a used CFX-4 recently for around $120.00. I use mine with a VHT Pitbull 45/12 and a Rocktron Replifex to switch channels & effects presets via MIDI.

Guitar George

• Members

As I understand it, since the G-Major has two relays it'll do the channels provided you have the right custom cable, which I ordered from FJA Mods. If I need to get more I will, but I think that'll do it. As far as the foot controller goes, I'm thinking the MFC5 is looking better all the time. I have zero use for expression pedals. I had a whole rack of stuff at one point and never used my expression pedal once in 10 years. I'm just a tap and forget type guy.

I really appreciate the info though.

BTW: I posted this before I realized the search function is back up... :freak:

Archived