Where would you put a Micro Synth in your chain?

DeuceII

• Members

I tried one out yesterday and really liked it, but I'm trying to figure out how to fit it on my board. Should it go near the front of the chain, so dirt pedals don't affect the Trigger slider? Or will it work well near the end, after dirt pedals, in the usual modulation pedals area?

• Members

They have a small Keeley TB Loop at the store as well, maybe I should just pick that up too?

it depends on your application - modding for TB would be convenient, but a looper could be useful for other things. you can use it to engage a cheap compressor -> micro synth -> delay with one stomp, for instance. i'd just get the MS first and see how the bypass effects your rig and if you'd like to be able to engage other pedals at the same time before buying a TB loop.

• Members

Thanks for the ideas/info. I was playing it in the store with a strat through a bassman and the bypass didn't seem that bad, no worse than the Tube Zipper I also tried out with the same rig. Maybe they're both bad bypasses? I'd really rather not send it out to someone to be TB'd so the photo/diagram helps a lot.

• Members

Just took the plunge. The sales guy told me that the newer versions are supposedly TB'd, for the last few years. The strat into bassman still sounded a lot like a strat into a bassman when it was bypassed, but this could still be the old "Sure EHX are all TB" line, when they really aren't. He added that I may hear a little difference between direct and with the pedal in line since it's still running through the circuit, but as I understand that means it's NOT true bypass. Anyway, I'm revamping my board to make it fit in between typing, so I'll try it in a couple spots and see how it fits. I no longer have room for anything on my board.:cry:

• Members

Just took the plunge. The sales guy told me that the newer versions are supposedly TB'd, for the last few years. The strat into bassman still sounded a lot like a strat into a bassman when it was bypassed, but this could still be the old "Sure EHX are all TB" line, when they really aren't. He added that I may hear a little difference between direct and with the pedal in line since it's still running through the circuit, but as I understand that means it's NOT true bypass. Anyway, I'm revamping my board to make it fit in between typing, so I'll try it in a couple spots and see how it fits. I no longer have room for anything on my board.
:cry:

I think from '05 on they are all made with True Bypass. Mine is as quiet as a mouse when its not on. In fact, when I engage it it actually cuts the hiss from my Muff.

Oh, and if you're experiencing volume loss be sure to check the screw on the bottom. It comes from the factory set for singles but can be tweak'd to run with humbuckers, more distortion/volume, etc.

• Members

I think from '05 on they are all made with True Bypass. Mine is as quiet as a mouse when its not on. In fact, when I engage it it actually cuts the hiss from my Muff.

Oh, and if you're experiencing volume loss be sure to check the screw on the bottom. It comes from the factory set for singles but can be tweak'd to run with humbuckers, more distortion/volume, etc.

Good to know on the TB front, I may be ahead there. As for the volume, I was actually noticing a volume gain when I would dig in to the strings, maybe just how the envelope section was set. But I'm gonna have fun with this one, I can already tell.

• Members

I tried one out yesterday and really liked it, but I'm trying to figure out how to fit it on my board. Should it go near the front of the chain, so dirt pedals don't affect the Trigger slider? Or will it work well near the end, after dirt pedals, in the usual modulation pedals area?

Right after the tuner, and after comp if you have comp. Turn the comp on only when using the attack decay, don't have it on for the filter sweep.

• Members

Hmmm, this is a dilemma. I've got the Fuzzprobe first, because my signal goes into a VHT Valvulator after that and the FP sounds horrible (in a bad way) after the VHT. I'm going to experiment some more with the placement of the MS this weekend, then layout my board.

On the TB front, I don't think these really are. They do use a 3PDT switch, but only three of the lugs are soldered to. This doesn't correlate with any of the 3PDT diagrams I've seen, either with or without LEDs. Anyone have other diagrams for this switch?

• Members

I've tried using my MicroSynth after compression, but I much prefer it before compression. Compression helps to tame the envelope filter, which can be very volatile on certain settings. It also helps to beef up the MS's tone.

I see your reasoning. Yeah, I guess that could work, but the tracking would probably be much improved if a compressor was put before it. In my opinion, the wildness of the envelope filter is part of what makes the pedal so great. To each his own, I guess.

Personally, I don't use a compressor, period. So I really couldn't tell you what sounds better, I'm just speculating.

• Members

Okay, just finished rewiring the first half of my board with the MS in the chain. Right now I'm not noticing any degradation of signal due to bypass, so I'll probably not worry about it. But I am testing my cabling/power supply setup through a Squier SS practice amp, so I may notice more when I run it through my tube amps.

The chain so far:

Fuzzprobe > VHT Valvulator (B out to Tuner) > Ooh wah > Tonefactor Analogue Filter > Teese RMC2 > Micro Synth > ZIM > MJM Foxey Fuzz

That's all I've gotten to. I didn't notice any problems tracking for the MS in this setup. I'm really digging it, but it's definitely the honeymoon period. We'll see in a few weeks. Favorite pedal stack so far is either the Analogue Filter into the MS, or the MS into the clean boost side of the ZIM. More later.... Oh, and I found I have room for about one or two more MXR size boxes, maybe a Boss. :thu:

Archived