The BEST clean tone from Atomic comes from....

joegrant413

• Members

...what?

I really enjoy my ToneLab + Atomic, but I keep thinking I haven't heard the best clean tone that the Atomic can do for me. This amp is a beefy, quality power amp, even though it's rated at 18watts, it's plenty loud with a really nice bass thump.

I *strongly* suspect the best clean via the Atomic won't come from my ToneLab (which is a great, if not the best, sub-$1000 MFX). I would love it if I could get a superior clean plugging one of my current analog pedals into it. Maybe a good boost/ OD with an EQ pedal?

Anyway.... your ideas WANTED!!! :idea:

Thanks,

--Joe

• Members

you need an actual preamp somewhere in there, otherwise you are just amplifying an OD pedal (= not good, tonally). an eq will not make up the difference.

Thanks, bro! So a "preamp" pedal like the Keeley Katana clean boost won't do it, right? If so, how expensive does it have to be to get a preamp like you're talking about?

Cheers,

-- Joe

• Members

hey man! I think you have a bunch of options, pretty much any preamp will work! By preamp i mean something with a voicing of its own and eq controls. "Preamp" Pedals like the katana boost and xotic boosters are really meant to be used in front of an amp to alter a pre-existing tone. You're going to want a preamp like a peavey rockmaster or ada mp-1 or something like that. For the sound your looking for you can consider several options. I personally like the clean tones of the sansamp gt2 but its solid state and some people here swear against anything s.s.:) I personally think the clean tones of the ada mp-1 are very very good especially(but not because of) the price, the solid state cleans on it are very jc120ish and the tube cleans are very good too. Not to mention it has some kick ass distortions:thu:. You could also consider the new fender/boss bassman and twin pedals which have gotten very good reviews or the damage control womanizer

• Members
hey man! I think you have a bunch of options, pretty much any preamp will work! By preamp i mean something with a voicing of its own and eq controls. "Preamp" Pedals like the katana boost and xotic boosters are really meant to be used in front of an amp to alter a pre-existing tone. You're going to want a preamp like a peavey rockmaster or ada mp-1 or something like that. For the sound your looking for you can consider several options. I personally like the clean tones of the sansamp gt2 but its solid state and some people here swear against anything s.s.
:)
I personally think the clean tones of the ada mp-1 are very very good
especially
(but not because of) the price, the solid state cleans on it are
very
jc120ish and the tube cleans are very good too. Not to mention it has some kick ass distortions:thu:. You could also consider the new fender/boss bassman and twin pedals which have gotten very good reviews or the damage control womanizer

It's so cheap it would be hard to imagine that it could beat my ToneLab... but have you checked out the Behringer GDI21? It only costs about $30 and supposedly is a very good clone of GT2.

-- Joe

Archived