I have a questions about boost pedals

byteblock

• Members

I'm using that search function like mad here guys. After reading several posts on boost pedals, I need to have something explained about them.

So what exactly is the difference between a boost pedal and the level adjustment on an EQ pedal? Are boosts and EQs essentially the same?

• Members

i think that there is a lot of difference in a hi freak boost and a hi gain boost.

teach sez to me.. whats the difference between 2 eggs and 3 ?

i tell her... thats what i say. whats the difference.

dingo ate my baybay

uhhhmmm.................

what?

• Members

The level function on an EQ can be used as a boost.

There's no way a boost can work as an adjustable EQ.

That being said, most boost pedals aren't flat, which means they apply their own tweak on your sound, making them function as a preset equalization pedal, with an adjustable boost level. This simplicity appeals to a lot of people, myself included.

c

• Members
.....On a side note, EQs never boost as evenly or as nicly as a standard boost pedal does. Sure you can boost specific frequancies, but there will be some you won't be able to hit.

you dont think the master vol fader on an eq is a full-range boost :confused:

None of my EQ pedals have ever pushed my amps as hard as a Boost.

generally speaking, available gain range with a pedal eq's master is about 7-15db from O/unity. many boost pedals today are packing in excess of 20+ db from unity. however, as noted, straight 'clean boost' pedals do impart their own (largely unadjustable) eq curve to the signal, for better or worse (eye of the beholder/player). really depends on what you wanna do, and what exactly you need to do it -- more range, more tone options, etc etc.

it kinda really is all good though :)

byteblock, what exactly do you need to do, and with what other things are you trying to do it with? driving a twin reverb vs. clean boost into vox valvetronix = totally different answers.

• Members

If you're into trying different pedals, look around for boost pedals in the SPAMs. Devi is also selling a $35 boost (as well as fuzz pedals and OD's) that's a great buy, even at twice the price. Those pedals are worth looking into as well.

c

• Members

i just got a mk.4.23 cleanboost yesterday,first i tried it in the front of my 2channel dualrec. i wasnt to impressed,then i read you can insert in the loop,holys#*t!!!!!!!!!!this thing is a monster ,,toatally transparent and loud as hell, does not change your tone at alll,here is a link if you want to check it out http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423.html its kinda spendy at 219$ but its worth it to me,,,,anyone else useing this?

Archived