Rediscovering Humbuckers...

messiah

• Members

As we are all a fickle bunch who go in and out of phases constantly, I got out my '69 SG Special last week for rehearsals after spending the best part of 2 years being almost exclusively on my Telecasters ('62 Custombound Reissue being my fave).

After 20mins I realised what it is I loved about HB's in the 1st place... Singing sustain, fatness, works live with FuzzFactory(!), no squealing, no brittleness ripping off my head, etc...:love:

I really enjoyed playing the SG and it magically made a reappearance at the same time as my 50W Plexi that I had had the mains transformer replaced on after 3 years of gathering dust.

So, one week looked like this;

Telecaster>Board>Fender Blues Junior

to the next week which went;

SG>Board>Marshall Plexi>Powerbrake>1960TV 4x12 w/Greenbacks

I did miss the Tele for some of the cleaner moments, but I think I am going to aim for this;

SG/Telecaster>Board(*details below)>Marshall Plexi>Powerbrake>2x12 w/Greenbacks

I think this will see me through a couple more years, although the board will keep changing and I want a Gretsch Country Gent...:D

Anyone else rediscovered HB's lately?

Board, in order;

HBE CPR> ZVex Wah Probe> Lovetone Big Cheese> Zvex Fuzzfactory> ZVex SuperDuper 2in1> ZVex Box of Rock> Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe> Line 6 DL4> EHX Holy Grail

• Members
As we are all a fickle bunch who go in and out of phases constantly, I got out my '69 SG Special last week for rehearsals after spending the best part of 2 years being almost exclusively on my Telecasters ('62 Custombound Reissue being my fave).

After 20mins I realised what it is I loved about HB's in the 1st place... Singing sustain, fatness, works live with FuzzFactory(!), no squealing, no brittleness ripping off my head, etc...
:love:

I really enjoyed playing the SG and it magically made a reappearance at the same time as my 50W Plexi that I had had the mains transformer replaced on after 3 years of gathering dust.

So, one week looked like this;

Telecaster>Board>Fender Blues Junior

to the next week which went;

SG>Board>Marshall Plexi>Powerbrake>1960TV 4x12 w/Greenbacks

I did miss the Tele for some of the cleaner moments, but I think I am going to aim for this;

SG/Telecaster>Board(*details below)>Marshall Plexi>Powerbrake>2x12 w/Greenbacks

I think this will see me through a couple more years, although the board will keep changing and I want a Gretsch Country Gent...
:D

Anyone else rediscovered HB's lately?

Board, in order;

HBE CPR> ZVex Wah Probe> Lovetone Big Cheese> Zvex Fuzzfactory> ZVex SuperDuper 2in1> ZVex Box of Rock> Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe> Line 6 DL4> EHX Holy Grail

Yea, I busted out my LP the other day, and buckers through my fuzzsaw was enormous. I loved it. I hate the clean tone though.

• Members

I like both depending on the style of music that I'm playing. However, currently I use the humbuckers more-it gives me a better rock tone. I only use single coils when I'm in the mood for some blues-I just pull out the old strat...

Archived