What do you think of this rig?

EduardoBoucas

• Members

hi everyone

I'm now building my pedalboard and this board is being very useful to me.

I do not have all the pedals yet, but this is what I'm planning to buy (and this is the way I was thinking my signal chain would be).

I appreciate any comments/suggestions to improve the quality of the rig.

guitarrigoh2.jpg

What would you change?

And now another question. The pedal board I'm builing will include a 2nd level raiser, and I need to know from now if I'm building it centered on the board, or if I'll align it left. This will decide if I'm including the 2 expression pedals (Dunlop Wah and Ernie Ball Volume) on the right of the pedal board (as I would prefer) or if the Wah stays on the right side and the Ernie Ball on the left side.

I would prefer to have them both aligned on the right of the board, but since I'll be using the volume pedal at the end of the chain, I would need to have 2 cables crossing the whole board to make the chain correct, do you know what I mean? How much would this affect the sound?

Thanks

Eduardo

• Members

nice diagram-where could I found the pictures like that?

does the fender amp have an effects loop? If so I would put the delay and compressor in the loop. Also, I think you might have better luck putting the tuner first in the chain.

• Members

Thanks for your reply.

As for the pictures, you can find them on http://guitargeek.com. You just have to search for the pedal you want, get the picture of the rig of someone who uses it, and then edit the image and cut the pedals you want (it takes some time, but it's nice).

The amp doesn't have effects loop :( do you think it will sound bad, direct to the amp?

About the tuner, I was told that everything should be done to keep the tuner out of the chain, so I was taking advantage of the Ernie Ball Tuner Out.

With the TS-9 and the Phaser off, the tuner should be able to get a decent signal, don't you think?

Thanks again

• Members

I would take the Micro Amp out. I used to own one of those and thought it made everything sound really ratty and not too musical. Look around for a Keeley Java boost or something to that extent instead, if you need a signal boost in there.

Also, I wouldn't run the tuner out from the volume pedal. I've heard from many people here that the EB tuner outs leave the rest of your signal sounding weak. Just what I've heard, though.

Everything else is a big :thu:

• Members

I wouldn't worry about having a loop on the Twin.. you're not gonna get any dirt out of that thing anyway (at reasonable volumes). Everything will sound fine running in front of the amp.

As for the tuner, I have no experience with the EB volume or its tuner out, but it if it comes down to it, just put the tuner in the chain. It's not hurting your signal anymore than the other pedals you have there.

Also, running a couple longer cables to and from the EB if you want it on the right side really isn't going to hurt anything either. Maybe if you had 4 or 5 3'-4' cables but 2 isn't going to do much.

Looks like a very solid setup you have going there. You're going to get some killer tones out of it.

What kind of guitar and what kind of music do you play?

• Members

Thanks for all the replies, you guys rock :)

About the phaser, I'll really have to try it in both combinations. I read a lot that the OD should come last, but there are no rules in this :)

@comfortablynumb: thanks man. I hope you're right about the killer tones :)

I play a MIM Strat (60th Anniversary) which I love (and a Godin Multiac Nylon, but that's for a different rig anyways).

@SUPER VELCROBOY: why the volume pedal in that position?

thank you guys for your help

• Members
Thanks for all the replies, you guys rock
:)

About the phaser, I'll really have to try it in both combinations. I read a lot that the OD should come last, but there are no rules in this

@comfortablynumb: thanks man. I hope you're right about the killer tones
I play a MIM Strat (60th Anniversary) which I love (and a Godin Multiac Nylon, but that's for a different rig anyways).

@SUPER VELCROBOY: why the volume pedal in that position?

thank you guys for your help

The phaser is going to sound radically different in either position. Me, I highly prefer placing it before any overdrive. After and it takes over your whole signal (which is preferred by some and can sound good). Putting it before gives a more subtle sound and can even sound Uni-Vibe-ish with the right setting. Experiment and see what sounds best to you. :thu:

Oh, and this is just me, but I think you have the EB in the perfect position. After the ODs so you control the volume, not the gain of the pedals, but before the delay so you can fade in some awesome swells and things like that.

• Members

Might want to include more "dirt" (distortion/fuzz). A stock TS-9 is pretty mild. And the Twin doesn't give you any gain unless you really crank it, which at 80 tube watts, could be deafening.

Maybe a good fuzz or something like a Rat will help set you free. But I guess your style of music will dictate the need for these. I only suggest it because most of us players like playing with "dirt"!!

Archived