Useless Effects.

only_shallow

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you thinking of the vibe on "Breathe"? That's different than pitch-modulated vibrato, which is a great effect when done well.

Do you mean hand vibrato or like Lonnie mack quick pulsating vibrato he got from his amp?

Or lame vibrato from the DOD Vibrothang?

• Members

Do you mean hand vibrato or like Lonnie mack quick pulsating vibrato he got from his amp?

Or lame vibrato from the DOD Vibrothang?

My understanding is:

vibe: short for Univibe, ala Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun" and the Floyd you cited. IIRC, it is essentially a 2-stage phaser that was originally meant to emulate a Leslie rotating speaker. While failing at capturing the Leslie sound, it is a really cool sound in and of itself. A modern example would be the SweetSound Mojo-Vibe.

vibrato: the effect of modulating the pitch up and down a certain amount. I suppose this is pretty similar to hand vibrato. A modern example would be the Mid-Fi Electronics Pitch Pirate.

Also, I may be wrong, but I remember reading that the Vibrothang does not really fit in either of the above categories, but is rather a hybrid of some sort of phase and tremolo. I'm not entirely sure on that, but it certainly didn't sound like it was faithfully recreating either a vibe or vibrato.

• Members

Some effects with limited use are fun to play with but I seriously have never found a use for Chorus.

I assume it's just me since so many others like their chorus pedals. If you have it on a lower setting you can barely notice it but as you turn up it makes your guitar sound like gay circus music :confused:

• Members

i've always struggled to find a use for chorus pedals. the only one i ever did find a use for was a boss super chorus, and only purely for harmonics when i was in a metal band. i just kicked it on for a machinehead/burn my eyes kinda vibe.

flangers are usually fairly useless in a song contect to me, but they're fun to play with and i think i'm going to get the BYOC one anyway.

auto wah sounds awful to my ears, and so does ring modulation. everything else i could find a use for in one situation or another.

• Members

same here. even then i prefer the vibrato on the dmm to it's chorus.

Chorus on the DMM is tricky to set right as it create dischords, the vibrato goes with anything.

I think chorus can mega enhance a clean tone, if your after 'Sweet Home Alabama' huge {censored} off clean tone.

However it can be used horribly.

I have to say i don't like flangers, conmibation of sound adn the fact they are kinda a phaser hybrid.

Archived