Anyone familiar with Zoom G2.1U?

karrisz

• Members

I'm thinking about buying it based on my reading on its specs. My other choices are single effect boss stomp boxes. I'll be using it or them with either Peavey Mini Colossal JSX or a Crate V118. Or anyone has a kick ass pedal to suggest. I'm all ears. I'm new at this and thanks.

• Members

If you want a purely FX pedal get yourself a Boss GT-8 (or even a Gt-6 will do, they're quite cheap now used) and run it using the 4CM method (4 Cable Method) if you're amp has an FX loop. That will get you all the effects you would ever want and pretty much unlimited flexibility.

Tge G2.1u is a nice little unit. As a modeller, it shines on clean sounds, it's acoustic simulator is breathtaking. For distortion, it's OK...it's still has that digital feeling and it reacts very badly to thick strings. But since you already have an amp, you would not use it for modelling.

Your other option is a something like the Boss ME-20 or ME-50...that would probably be perfect for you too.

• Members

The Zoom is a nice unit and what I actually started with, but I soon discovered the effects I liked and sought out individual effect boxes to mandate a board.

I kept the Zoom though as it is nice when going direct into the computer, plus I use it in front of the chain temporarily as a wah or volume pedal since I have neither one.

• Members

I bought one to use for jams, rehearsals, etc when I didn't want to lug a bunch of rack gear and pedals. But, man I am very impressed with this little unit. After spending some time tweaking my sounds (which is very easy) it sounds incredible and I've gigged and recorded with it quite a bit - and gotten a lot of compliments on it's tone. Since you read the specs, you know it has a lot going for it - it's in a whole different league than other earlier Zoom compact units.

Archived