Bypass Clicking/Popping

MrDurden

• Members

Ok, my pedal board is the followoing:

Guit -Whammy IV-Boss OC2-Line 6 FM4-Boss SD1-Ibanez DE7-EHX MMD-AMP

So, ive had the whammy for a while, and noticed that it makes a clicky poppy sound when i bypass or unbypass it, especially noticeable when the overdrive is activated, but i learned to live with it. I recently aquired the line 6 FM4 Filter modeler, which supposedly has True bypass switching and noticed that it does the same thing, it makes a clicking/popping sound that is heard through the amp when the efect is activated or bypassed (not when switching through efects though). Is this normal of digital efect pedals? if so why? My other pedals dont seem to do this.

Thanks in advance

• Members

Actually, I have heard that it is common with true bypass pedals. As it was explained to me, that is actually one way to be sure that a pedal is true bypass (of course it does not apply to all TB pedals). TB pedals sometimes have the kinds of switches that actually click when pushed on as opposed to a Boss type switch which is completely smooth (although not TB). My EHX Mistress pops sometimes. I don't know if this helps, but it is my experience.......:wave:

• Members

Leaky DC blocking caps in the pedals are part of the problem, yes. And sometimes the problem is in the amp - many old tube amps have leaky input capacitors, that cause this problem with any pedal that doesn't have electronic switching. Also, a lot of the times, it isn't actually the pedal that you turn on/off that clicks/pops - many times, it's the input stage in the next pedal...

Boss-type pedals don't click because they:

• If the problem is in the amp, having a fully buffered (Boss or similar) pedal last in line can sometimes help - that way the amp "sees" a constant connection to that pedal's output buffer. If the problem is in the pedal - or a neighbouring pedal - adding pull-down resistors (1 meg or larger) from the input and output caps to ground can help. Also, one tip many people will give you is to simply click the offending pedal on/off a few times before you start playing - in many cases, that will alleviate the problem.

/Andreas

Archived