What is the big obsession with FUZZ?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

I'm just curious about this phenomenon. Thousands of FUZZs seems like splitting hairs to me; but then I'm happy to accept that I'm just not educated enough in the discipline of FUZZ. Please enlighten those of us who are in the dark.

Examples:

Notice in the left column of this eBay link that there are more items in the overdrive/distortion category than any other effect.

When you search the HC Effects forum for threads with the word FUZZ in the title, you get more than 500.

Boutique pedal builders are mostly builders of fuzz pedals. :idk::deadhorse:

• Members

Most fuzz pedals are NOT plug and play, you actually have to work at it to get a good sound. Maybe it's the potential to find a great sound, maybe it's because they are not boring. A fuzz like an Addrock Geranium or a Fulltone '69 have an infinite range of tones, from mild OD to balls out fuzz. There's a lot going on there.

• Members

You apparently do not have the fuzz gene. You were born that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Asking a bunch of fuzz addicts this question is like asking a bunch of guys why the big obsession with boobies. It can't be explained, they're just fun.:love:

And you just want to try them all.

• Members

Nice EHX board!! First time I've seen one so...complete!

Did you have your BMP modified or was it already 'hairpie'd' when you got it?

Thanks, Yarmo. Your question might be navigating toward a point ;) I had the BMP modded; so yes, you would be correct if you said that I was obsessing over Fuzz by having it modded. But still, it's my only Fuzz pedal. If I want to accomplish a less bassy/more midrange 'honk' from the BMP, I would use The Worm's manual mode, or the PolyChorus' filter matrix, or my Graphic EQs. I wouldn't go out and buy another Fuzz pedal. :blah::blah::blah:

The more I explicate, the more I feel like I've asked a stupid question. :o

I suppose I'm just not as intrigued about buying more Fuzz pedals as the mainstream here, so I feel the need to understand. Thanks for the dialogue. :thu:

P.S. I dig the Picasso avatar. Ever been to the Picasso museum in Antibes? :cool:

• Members

There are no stupid questions unless the the person that asks the question learns nothing in the end.

You seem to like the BMP, some don't. Some prefer a Fuzz Face-type or a Tonebender-type. Different grains of fuzziness.

I myself have a Fuzz Factory and a russian BMP( ICBM is in the mail).

Some people don't like having to step on 2 pedals to get one sound. They want one and only one. The quest then begins...

:thu::thu::love::wave:

• Members

its a totally confusing game for me too! i have one fuzz (BYOC ultimate germanium) and i love it. i dont know the difference between that and the 10000 other fuzz's tho :idk:

I'm just curious about this phenomenon. Thousands of FUZZs seems like splitting hairs to me; but then I'm happy to accept that I'm just not educated enough in the discipline of FUZZ. Please enlighten those of us who are in the dark.

Examples:

Notice in the left column of this
eBay link
that there are more items in the overdrive/distortion category than any other effect.

When you search the HC Effects forum for threads with the word FUZZ in the title, you get more than 500.

Boutique pedal builders are mostly builders of fuzz pedals.
:idk::deadhorse:

• Members

Fuzz is just a nice thing. It can give you total weirdness, but can also be used for more sane purposes. I like just giving a knob a little roll to get into insanity noise weirdness, and roll it back to play normal again. Distortions and overdrives never seem to have the insanity fuzzes have.

Archived