zoom g2 thing

bhsbhswarp

• Members

I have one that I use for quick set up or small practices when I don't feel like getting out all my pedals. I get some decent sounds out of it into a clean amp. The presets suck, way too much gain and badly EQ'd for the most part. The dirt sounds aren't great but if you tweek them they can work, the ones I like most are the Hot Box and US blues. The cleaner sounds and most of the effects are pretty good.

• Members

Turn all modules off (press one of the footswitches) - that's the first thing you want to do with just about any modeler, believe me.

Pick one of the amp/stompbox simulations (a light overdrive let's say).

Mess with the knobs (you probably want to keep the gain down, tone around 6 or so, adjust level to taste).

Turn on the booster that's in the WAH/EFX module (range depends on the guitar/pickup and amp simulation you're using, but I suppose 3 would be a good number to start with, tone to taste, level to taste).

Work from there... (Cab-Mic Simulator, 3 band/Extra EQ...?)

That's basically the trick to get some good clean/slightly overdriven/low gain sounds out of it.

If you're talking about hi-gain simulations then just turn the gain really low (from like 0 to 30 - some of them have too much gain to begin with, and as far as I know that's also true for both G7.1ut and G9.2tt). The 5150 works fine.

Most of the effects are good, some stand out like the stereo chorus and most of the delays - so you could use it as a multi-purpose effects pedal of sorts.

• Members

I bought the G2.1u as a grab-and-go unit for jams, rehearsals, etc when I didn't want to take a bunch of pedals and rack gear. However, after a bit of tweaking, it sounds fantastic and I've gigged with it a number of times, and recieved compliments on my tone.

• Members

I think the Zoom G-series is the best bang for the buck out there for live use. I haven't tried it for recording direct, but it works very well with my Fender DRRI. I agree that the preamps have way too much gain but turning the gain very low doesn't kill the tone like it does in other modelers.

The G2 has excellent harmonics and sustain. The distortion sounds years better than the GT8 and Pod XT distortions. Great unit. 6 band eq, hamonizer, three delays at once. Great unit.

Just make sure you turn off the cab/mic sims when playing through an amp.

Archived