Boss DD-6 VS Deluxe Memory Man

denimboy

• Members

They're not the same kind of thing at all, really.

That being said, you probably wouldn't be disappointed with a DMM unless you needed longer delay times. Keep the Boss though...it's good to have both analog and digital options handy, imo.

+1

The DMM has a gorgeous sound, but it only has a delay time between 500 - 600 ms; so you might be frustrated if you need more delay time. Like a lot of forumites around here, I also have both a DMM and a Boss delay.

• Members

i'd say too keep the dd6 and get a dmm. you get cool delay by having a shorter delay set on a dmm going into a longer delay into a dd6.

the dmm is really a cool unit, the more i play with mine the more i find it interesting. the modulations are so cool.

• Members

I was ready to buy a DMN when I was advised to seriously check out the DE-7 instead. I'm glad I did. The DE-7 fills all my analog needs at a fraction of the price.

It's really worth checking out. I don't even bother with the digital side.

Both "sides" of the DE-7 are digital. One's analog simulation. I've thought about checking one of those out myself, though. The DMM's modulation is a big part of the sound, to me, so I wouldn't sub one for the other.

How similar are they to a Dan-echo? Both are digital imitations of an analog thing, but I've not tried the DE-7. They get a lot of press here, though, so I figure it's worth looking into. I already have a Dan-echo, but I use the DMM all the time, and rarely hook the Dan-echo up, though I keep it around for the longer delay times it's capable of.

I need to just get a good digital delay and have my bases covered, I guess. Digital anything is pretty low priority for me, though.

What are some advantages of digital, beyond the longer delay times (and "clarity", I guess?)? Tap tempo could be o.k., I guess, but I'm pretty good with my toe on the delay knob on the DMM at getting it in time on the fly.

• Members

While the DE-7 sounds pretty amazing, does self-oscillation and has solid "analog" and digital voiced delays, it's not a complete replacement for something like the DMM, as Electric Catfish pointed out (the modulation is half the pedal for me).

That said, the DE-7 has friendlier power requirements, is much smaller, and has up to 2.5 seconds of analog-sounding delay, if you need it.

So, somewhat different beasts. Choose accordingly.

• Members

I use a Fender Telecaster Custom '72 so I may play with single or humbucker. I'm considering keeping my DD-6. It has some advantages and can be very useful. The DMM is very expensive but I'm not afraid it's worth the price.

Thanks for you advices. I didn't know the DMM has only 300 - 500ms of delay time :freak:. I don't use huge delay times but still Its useful sometimes.

:thu:

• Members

got my DMM yesterday in the mail.. haven't used it with my whole board yet (which sports a dd-6).. but i think they will go well together...

i use a hot set-up SG, but i didn't notice too much clipping at moderate volumes with the DMM... i got my DMM modded to attain the stock ~550ms...

beaut toy imho.

Archived