OT: Fender Super-Amp

T Stre

• Members

This?

Fender-Super.jpg

That one was mine 2 days ago, I used it in stereo with my VAC for a long time... they were made in the old Sunn factory from 93 to 95 I think, the precursor to the Devilles. Much better imo too, it had a really thick sound to it and took very well to overdrives. It doesn't have your standard Fender blackface clean, but it is still very good, more bassman like as far as cleans go. Most of the lead guitar sounds on my bands page are the Super, I ran my two amps stereo in the studio but our producer decided that the Super fit into the mix better than the VAC did (they are both still there just mixed to taste part by part). It loves my Fulldrive in Compcut, and my (then)stock BD-2.

Mine came with 4 Fender Custom Shop Celestion speakers, which I'm fairly sure were just Vintage 10's with a Fender sticker on them... but they sound sick. Mine was the only Super I've ever seen that had those speakers in it... the other ones have the blue 10's that you see in Hot Rods all the time. I do suggest that if you get it, put some TAD 6l6wgc-str's in it... those things made that amp an outright beast. I stuck the EH tubes that it had in it when I got it just to check, and they literally turned my nose up after hearing the TAD's!

Great amp with great looks for a good price... I got mine for 500$ off ebay, sold it locally for 600$ 2 days ago.

• Members

I'd say go for it, make sure he's got the footswitch tho... those go for a good bit on ebay. I kinda miss it now, but I did sell it to get a Hiwatt half stack so that makes me feel better.

I was showing the guy that bought it some stuff about it and I realized I had never turned the first channel all the way up and just listened to it... It wasn't unbearably loud (much louder than show volume, but not ear splitting) and it sounded reallllly nice thick and overdriven... made me think twice about selling it. But I have to pay off the money I borrowed for the Hiwatt somehow.

Just like the Hot Rod though, I would suggest using an overdrive pedal on the first channel, the gain knobs on the second channel aren't that great... setting the second channel to be a bit louder clean than the first channel and using the footswitch as a clean boost works really well though, good for getting straight out in front of a live band mix.

Archived