looper delays

test pattern

• Members

So I am about to spend a lot of bucks and I think I have narrowed my choices down between the damage control timeline and the ehx 16 sec delay reissue. I need the midi clock input for full integration into my setup so a lot of loopers are out of the question. So I was wondering what you guys' experience with either/both of these have been like. I like the 4 minutes available on the ehx, and at the same time am concerned about the 20 secs on the timeline. Viceversa, I really like all the various options of the timeline's delays, and am concerned that the 16 sec delay will not satisfy my needs. So all opinions are welcome on which you guys think is better.

• Members

it would probable help us go help you to explain why you need the midi integration. I only have experience with the 16sec. There is 3 blatant problems with the 16 sec and they are

1. it is discontinued

2. it has the 4 beat count in.... this problem has been corrected in later models before it was discontinued.

3. the pedal uses sliding pots instead of the conventional twisting ones

As far as looping goes, the 16 sec is a {censored}ing awesome looper. It is awESOME! The looper is dead easy to use. The awesome-ness lies in its ability to modulate the loops for a more chorusy, lo-fi or flanged sound. It just sounds cool. No other loopers are able to do this.

Other perks include

1. loop reverse

2. change pitch of loops

3. change speed of loops

4. can be used as a delay (similar to dmm)

5. 1 loop save even with power off

6. input level controls

7. true bypass

8. midi integration

9. overdubs

4 minutes of loop time is okay but not the best.

Ultimately, it's weakness has to do with the high price and the 4 beat count in that was such a turned off for so many people. The tempo feature require sliding the controls and counting beats in 1/8, 1/3, 1/4, which i found really awkward.

The 16 sec does not have the save loop option that boss loopers have. Personally, i have moved on to the boss rc-2 which has

1. 11 loop saves

2. 16 minutes of loop time

3. overdubs

4. undo features

5. drum beats

6. small footprint

7. very nice price

8. plethora of modes

9. tap tempo

• Members

there is only midi OUT though.

For midi clock in you need the 2880 or the RC50, neither of which do delays.

If you have to have a delay and be able to sync, I've found that the tap temp on the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai can get loops to sync with other stuff, whether it be a sequencer, drum machine, etc.

• Members

echoplex is out of the question (wish it was not) due to lack of cash. I need midi sync because I use a computer with my music and my bands music and would like to create layers behind the music to make transitions between songs cooler as well as jamming. This is why i am looking at the damage control. Can you post a clip of the SMMH using the tap tempo on a longer loop (at least 12+ seconds) and change its tempo up and down a little bit. I am very curious how well it quantizes. I am not looking at the RC series because I have heard the midi does not sync very well. Is it true you have to hold the rec down on the SMMH until your loop is finished or can you tap it on and off?

• Members

echoplex is out of the question (wish it was not) due to lack of cash. I need midi sync because I use a computer with my music and my bands music and would like to create layers behind the music to make transitions between songs cooler as well as jamming. This is why i am looking at the damage control. Can you post a clip of the SMMH using the tap tempo on a longer loop (at least 12+ seconds) and change its tempo up and down a little bit. I am very curious how well it quantizes. I am not looking at the RC series because I have heard the midi does not sync very well. Is it true you have to hold the rec down on the SMMH until your loop is finished or can you tap it on and off?

Does your sequencer support recording audio? If you're pre-recording backing tracks, just let the sequencer do it. I've done that with Cakewalk/Sonar products for years.

• Members

smmh looper too limited imho

depends on what you want to do. For my purposes it is perfect.

to the OP- I'll make you some samples later man, I gotta plan them out and stuff, don't know if I quite have time right now.

I used to do the live drum machine thing, and I always wanted a looper with a midi sync, but honestly looping tap tempo works pretty well.

• Members

So I am about to spend a lot of bucks and I think I have narrowed my choices down between the damage control timeline and the ehx 16 sec delay reissue. I need the midi clock input for full integration into my setup so a lot of loopers are out of the question. So I was wondering what you guys' experience with either/both of these have been like. I like the 4 minutes available on the ehx, and at the same time am concerned about the 20 secs on the timeline. Viceversa, I really like all the various options of the timeline's delays, and am concerned that the 16 sec delay will not satisfy my needs. So all opinions are welcome on which you guys think is better.

i've got a 16 second delay RI on the way right now. it should be here in a few days and i'd be glad to answer any questions after i get a chance to figure it out. i won't be able to comment on the midi function but i can compare it to a few others i've played.

• Members

ronzo, the computer is solely for synthesized percussion and any audio that can not be played on a conventional instrument (ie samples and synthesis). I want my live sets to be as live as possible. SJ the samples dont have to be complex or interesting, i just want to here how the SMMH quantizes. Also no answer on my question whether or not the SMMH requires you to hold down rec or if it is tap on/off.

• Members

depends on what you want to do. For my purposes it is perfect.

I used to do the live drum machine thing, and I always wanted a looper with a midi sync, but honestly looping tap tempo works pretty well.

that's a good point.

I guess if you just want a simple looper along with nice delays, the smmh is a good choice. I still think the 16 sec has better overall loop function though without the 4 beat problem, but the smmh has superior delays.

i tend to play loopers at home and mainly use it as a tool to record down my ideas, play it back, jam with myself. From this perspective, the ehx pedals are disappointing -- no save presets, limited loop time, no metronome, etc

• Members

i think saving presets is pointless, you should be able to do the same thing on multiple occasions if you are playing live and a metronome would sound awful live. i agree about the loop time, but it really is not that big of an issue. 30 seconds is plenty to get 8 bars in. its lame that the button must remain depressed (cuz i want to tweak other things while looping) but i think this could be worked around. so, are there any other looping delays similar to the SMMH i guess is now the question?

• Members

i think saving presets is pointless, you should be able to do the same thing on multiple occasions if you are playing live and a metronome would sound awful live. i agree about the loop time, but it really is not that big of an issue. 30 seconds is plenty to get 8 bars in. its lame that the button must remain depressed (cuz i want to tweak other things while looping) but i think this could be worked around. so, are there any other looping delays similar to the SMMH i guess is now the question?

pointless to you, but not to me.

try to record 8 loops each with 4-5 overdubs and oh keep everything under 30 seconds total and have the ability to bring it up anytime at your friend's house. And oh you forget that new riff you just played 3 days ago? Too bad you can't save. Ugh what? The smmh can't do any of these things?

i guess these features are not so pointless after all

• Members

See, I just remember my riffs, or record them.

I use a looper more as a layering performance tool.

For example I'll start out a song with some harmonics and layer and layer them for a wall of harmonics, then go into the song and start overdubbing the chords. Then for the breakdown I go an octave down (my hazarai preset is for an octave down, a gentle tap with my foot and it brings it an octave down, then starting layering stuff, and then I tap tempo and it normalizes the pitch, making all my overdubs an octave up and cool and electronic sounding.

But I can also use it to record a rhythm part than riff on top of it. If it had undo it would be perfect for my needs.

If the Hazarai had a 6 button extension controller in the same sized enclosure that you could use to octave up/down, undo, reverse, and switch modes and presets, that would rule.

• Members
See, I just remember my riffs, or record them.

you must have perfect memory, but my ideas are all different every time.
i can do the recording too, but then i have to break out the mic and make sure it's positioned okay and check the levels on the preamp and make sure the eq is okay, etc etc. It's really a convenience issue. I hear a lot of dissings of the loop save feature, and i just wonder if those people actually ever used it. It's really a great feature, but it seems like i am the only one who actually appreciates it at times :cry:

oh well, it's your loss haha :wave:

Archived