DigiTech GSP1101 -- First Impressions with Short Review

Deuterium

• Members

I already posted this in the body of another GSP1101 thread...but I thought I would copy this as a separate thread, to help anyone who might be using the Search function.

Confusion --> Frustration --> Panic --> Revelation --> Inspiration --> Happiness & Satisfaction --> Anticipation of further and future tonal wonders

I went thru each of these successive stages during my first 4-hours with my new GSP1101. The first hour and half was taken up mostly with the physical hook-up and connections with my existing rig, initial power on, initial programming set-up, and initial MAJOR PANIC and Bewilderment...due to the crappy sound I was getting. YIKES!!!!

How could this state-of-the art, next-gen, pro-class rack mount preamp/modeler/MultiFX system, designed with 2 of the newest, high powered audio/DSP processors (Harman's Audio DNA2 chips), and including a feature-rich set of digitally modeled stomp box pedals, point-to-point topology amp models, and high-end Chorus/FX, Delays and Lexicon Reverbs...sound so terrible, muddy, and down-right fugally ???

Quite easily, actually...If It HASN'T BEEN SET-UP PROPERLY by the Owner/User.

Indeed, despite an extensive pre-study of the GSP1101's User Manual, and carefully following the step-by-step instructions in the automated User Setup/configuration menu...somehow I still managed to screw this up somehow. :freak: Of course, I didn't realize this until after I had completed the initial setup procedures, and began sampling the first pre-set. As soon as I turned up my guitar, and played a couple of notes, I realized something was terribly wrong. And my only hope was that it wasn't a poor choice in new products on my part. And, as it turns out, this fortunately is not the case.

On the contrary. After figuring out what was going wrong, and making the appropriate corrections...I am convinced that DigiTech has developed and delivered a fantastic product, in the GSP1101.

Now, in my defense...and despite of the well thought out, automated set-up menu (which walks the User thru the different configuration modes, and fine tunes the processor algorithms so as to sound the best with your unique gear and method of sound reproduction), there still remains sources of confusion. And, it is rather easy to over-look a key parameter or two, which can make all the difference in the world.

In my particular case, I had made the correct physical connections, as well as correctly "telling" the GSP1101 how I wanted it to be configured, during the automated set-up procedure. What I had overlooked, is a parameter in the main "Edit Effects/Preset menu. Even though I had correctly answered the set-up questions, and had clearly programmed the GSP1101 to configure itself for "Amp Input/Preamp Loop"...for some NON-intuitive reason, I still had to manually re-configure two settings;

1) In the Global Functions menu, I had to get into the "I/O" Setup, and set the "Type of Loop" to ==> "Into/Ext Preamp". This configures the GSP1101 so as to allow the use of EITHER your existing stomp box pedals and main amp, OR to bypass your external amp & stomp box pedals, and instead utilize the GSP1101's internal preamp/amp modeling. >.

2) Next, I had to return to the pre-programmed factory preset, enter the Edit mode, and select the menu "FX loop" and manually set and program it for either "external" or "internal" preamp.

BERFORE I HAD DISCOVERED THIS..I SOMEHOW HAD THE INTERNAL AMP MODELS ACTIVITACTED, AS WELL AS MY EXTERNAL PREAMP OF MY VALVEKING 100. SO, WHAT WAS HAPPENNING WAS THAT, EFFECTIVELY, I WAS GOING THRU TWO PREAMPS IN SERIES. In other words, my signal included both the internal GSP1101 preamp as well as my ValveKing's preamp. No wonder it sounded like complete and utter crap.

Once I found the error, I re-set the programming so that it was either one or the other...not both.

Having made the necessary corrections, I set the GSP1101 to have my external Valveking' preamp in the loop (with the GSP1101's internal preamp/amp bypassed)...now I had my standard wonderful tone from the Peavey...yet I still could include the GSP1101's post-Amp FXs, such as chorus, delays and reverbs.

Alternatively, I set the GSP1101 to turn off the "External Loop" (thereby bypassing my ValveKing's preamp) and enabled the GSP1101's internal preamp modeling. Again, great results! The GSP1101's internal preamp, in combination with my Peavey ValveKing's 6L6-based power section, is an excellent match.

In fact, I very quickly was able to program and save my first User pre-set, in which I have selected the GSP1101's "DigiTech Blues" preamp/amp model. I also programmed in the GSP1101's model of the MXR DynaComp compressor, and TS-808 Tube Screamer Overdrive. Finally, I added a bit of tasty and warm plate reverb. These took me all of 5-minutes to program and tweak some parameters, and then save. Keep in mind that this is just my first pass at making my own patch from scratch. Nevertheless, the results were FANTASTASTIC. I was getting a wonderful overdriven tone, that has a nice mid-range...and perfect for single-note Lead / Solo lines. This sounded like the real deal. It had none of the fake, digital sounding harshness of the Line 6 POD series. It was alive, it breathed, and sounded wonderfully 3-dimensional!

So, to make a long story long... I haven't even scratched the surface of the GSP1101's sonic landscape. Nor have I yet had a chance to listen to all the different amp models the GSP1101 has to offer...probably because I had so much fun playing with this first program/patch I made.

I did, however, spend a few minutes audtioning a few select amp models. These are based on the Solano SLO 100, and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. I have never heard, first-hand, the sound from a SLO. Therefore, I can't compare how "accurate" the DigiTech GSP1101's model is. However, I CAN SAY that this model kicked all kinds of ass. The creamy, liquid sustain was simply sublime. And there was a huge amount of useable gain range, available. The model of the M-B Dual Rec was very, very impressive. And that is an amp I have owned, and know well. Again, DigiTech nailed the "in your F'n face" gain, as well as the Rectifier's somewhat buzzy distortion and feedback

I also sampled some of DigiTech's own models, including an eerily accurate model of the DigiTech GSP2101 Artist "Saturated Tube". I am also happy to report that the factory pre-programmed presets all all quite nice. They give you a wide selection of tones, and demonstrate the many different effects and effects combinations which are available. My initial perception is that all the factory presets show taste and moderation. There is none of the crazy, over-the-top, effects-laden garbage that typically is found on these kinds of devices. DigiTech has wisely decided to take a more serious, conservative approach with the factory presets...and the results are evident and (at least for me) appreciated.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

• Members

Okay, I have spent some more time with the GSP1101.

All I can say is...this little son of a bitch continues to impress me.

Strictly focusing on the digital modeling aspects (tone and tube amp feel), it is a as good, if not a bit better, then my Vox Valvetronix "Blue" AD120VTH head and ToneLab LE. It definitely has the ability to get more "hair" and dirt, compared to the Vox units. The high gain tones in the GSP1101 are fantastic. However, just as good, are the medium and low gain tones. The DigiTech GSP1101 has some great Fender models, and even better Marshalls. For High Gainers, the JCM2000 and '77 Master Volume Marshalls are top notch. Also for high to extreme gain, the Dual Rectifier and Soldano models are superb.

One can get some crazy, evil, sinister gain by cranking the Rectifier model with one of the "less subtle" stompbox models that are available, such as the DigiTech "Grunge", The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, or the DigiTech Death Metal.

These aren't to any of my tastes, but I know some people will like them, becuase the tone I was getting sounded just like some of the stupid, over-the-top distortion which can be heard on most Rock/Metal radio stations these days... you know, the ones with the Cookie Monster vocals.

For medium gain...I think I am most impressed with the Matchless model. This has a beautiful, warm, chimey tone. I can get a wonderful blues lead out of it with any of the excellent virtual OD stompbox models (TS-9, TS-808, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, DOD 250). For even higher gain, the Distortion stompbox models work great (MXR Distortion plus, Pro Co Rat, Boss DS-1).

Leaving aside the built-in preamp/amp modeling...

My absolute favorite feature of the GSP1101 is the seamless ability to use the preamp of your existing amp, while completly bypassing the internal preamp/amp modeling of the GSP1101. I am playing thru a Peavey ValveKing 100 head. I can program a patch setting which adds one of the GSP1101's virtual stompbox pedals in front of my ValveKing, then bypasses the internal preamp to go thru the front-end of the ValveKing...so all the tone is coming from my ValveKings preamp and tone stack...then the signal goes back thru the GSP1101's digital FX section to add some delay or reverb, and then returns to ValveKing's power tube / amp section.

Furthermore, the onboard digital FXs (modulations, delays, reverbs) are all fantastic, and wonderfully transparent. Another very cool feature is the ability to assign the Modulation FX either before the distortion/preamp, or after (Post-amp).

I think all of the postAmp FX are great, but the ones that particularly standout, for me, are: BOSS CE-2 Chorus, Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger, MXR Phaser (Phase 100), Boss DM-2 Analog Delay, Digitech's Tape Delay model, and all the Lexicon Reverbs (simply beautiful).

• Members

I just learned another cool feature of the GSP1101. You can change the position of the Modulation FX in the signal chain, to be before the distortion/preamp, or after (Post Amp).

This may sound like no big deal...but it really makes quite a tonal difference, and opens up a huge more variety of sounds, depending on where you put the Modulation effect. If you are using a preset that has very high gain..having the ability of putting the Chorus or Phaser in front of the distortion is very desirable.

This is just another example of the well thought out, user-friendly interface that DigiTech designed into the GSP1101.

• Members

you wouldn't be able to compare it to the RP350 would you?

I know there's tons of more subtle options that would make a pretty big difference (routing, etc.) .. but from the manuals, they look like they're essentially the same thing (and are probably using the same algorithms for their effects). Is there an audible difference from better processors or any of that technical crap?

• Members

I have never tried the RP 350. However, the major difference is the use of two (2) AudioDNA2 chips in the GSP1101 versus one in the GP350.

DigiTech has explained that is for two reasons.

a) It proves the necessary computational power to allow for seamless preset switching and FX (delays, reverbs) spill-over. The patch switching is basically instantaneous...with no detectable latency.

b) They tweaked the algorithms on the amp models and effects to take advantage of the greater headroom and processing power available with the two chip architecture.

The GSP1101 has 12 Volt (+/-) DC voltage rails to the DSP chips, which provides greater headroom and ensures that your original guitar tone isn't clipped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Definetly intrested in this one .

For the first time .I actually listened to posted sound clips and didnt cringe..lol

actually quite a few of them on the site are quite good for direct .,

imo the Plexi Drive has a better sound than any line6 product model of it .

Id love to hear clips of the Soldano And Legacy (bogner) Jcm 800 as I have an ad30 and use the the UK 80, Soldano .pretty much all the time and dig'em .

the effects in the clips sound stellar to ..that Cathedral type delay on More Phase patch .. the acoustic sim ..plus the quality lexicon reverbs ..very cool

• Members

Definetly intrested in this one .

For the first time .I actually listened to posted sound clips and didnt cringe..lol

actually quite a few of them on the site are quite good for direct .,

imo the Plexi Drive has a better sound than any line6 product model of it .

Id love to hear clips of the Soldano And Legacy (bogner) Jcm 800 as I have an ad30 and use the the UK 80, Soldano .pretty much all the time and dig'em .

the effects in the clips sound stellar to ..that Cathedral type delay on More Phase patch .. the acoustic sim ..plus the quality lexicon reverbs ..very cool

13bats:

Do a quick Search for "GSP1101" here on this forum. There is a main thread which has soundclips posted by Golguth.

Archived