POD X3 / POD X3 Live!

Emphyrian_adam

• Members

Love mine! I used XTs for many years happily - the X3 is a born again upgrade. My main gig requires everything run direct - no amps, no open monitors - so I live or die with modelers. The X3 is a marvelous device that will get better as L6 gets their firmware and software upgraded in the next few months.

And contrary to what I've heard here and there, the XT cannot be made to sound as good as the X3. It's that much better.

Greg

• Members

Yes, but isn't the X3 Live all plastic? For $499 I would expect an all metal chassis like on Boss GT8 (which is $50 cheaper).

Yeah but the Boss doesn't sound nearly as good... Plastic isn't necessarily bad for digital gear, the only real advantage to metal is that it's better shielded for analog signals, but you can get around this by putting shielding foil inside the housing. Plastic can be just as durable as metal, and lighter too.

• Members

Sounds like you're making up this theory as you go along...

...everyone here craps on Behringer pedals 'cause they're plastic (but at least they cost only $30), but when Line 6 rips you off with an $499 all plastic device it's suddenly OK?

And the "sounds better than Boss GT8" is highly debatable...especially in live settings, from what I've read on the Boss board at bossgtcentral.com where a lot of people own both PODs and GT8s...

• Members

...everyone here craps on Behringer pedals 'cause they're plastic (but at least they cost only $30), but when Line 6 rips you off with an $499 all plastic device it's suddenly OK?

And the "sounds better than Boss GT8" is highly debatable...especially in live settings, from what I've read on the Boss board at bossgtcentral.com where a lot of people own both PODs and GT8s...

(a) I don't crap on Behringer pedals, so I'm not a hypocrite

(b) Do those people have X3's or older ones? I doubt a lot of them have the new Pod since it just came out. I am biased because I dislike Boss GT distortions, however I've heard some decent sounds out of an X3. Both units are good, I'm sure, but my point was the Boss pedal is not the same generation as the X3, so it's not really fair to compare them head-to-head until Boss releases a new multi-fx.

• Members

Not siding on either but - there are different levels of metal & plastic - there are plastic items that are indestructible and metal ones that bend and snap easily. Just the word plastic & metal dont really mean anything without the context - the thickness and production type, etc....

• Members

I snagged a bean X3 from guitar center. It's enclosure is metal. I don't know how durable the metal is.

The dual processing in the X3 is much more extensive than what the GT-8 offers. You can actually run two completely separate full signal chains, with completely different amps, cabinets, compressors, stompboxes, delays, reverbs, etc. And you can set the two chains wherever you like in the stereo field - IE, pan them hard left and right, mix them together, or anything in between. The GT-8 only allows you to mix together two amps and cabs, and you only have the choice of running the amps together panned hard left and right or mono.

The number of effect models is very impressive. If you're a fan of unique textures and tones, you might find just a few of the many guitar-synth tones to be worth the price alone.

I ended up taking the POD X3 back to the store because the amp models (although improved over what I remember from the Pod 2, and Pod XT) still have an artificial feel to them because the high end is cut off at an unnatural point. I understand that the POD is an amp modeler designed for recording, but both Boss and Digitech have figured out how to model an amp without shelving off the top end like that.

The other drawback to the POD X3 series is that they haven't yet developed a software editor for the many, many parameters that you can adjust. I'd almost consider the X3 just for the effects, but it would probably start collecting after the first few times it took me half an hour to twist a tone knob on a stompbox model.

When/if the software editor comes out and the price goes down a bit, I will consider picking one up again. I can't say I wasn't impressed.

• Members

Love mine! I used XTs for many years happily - the X3 is a born again upgrade. My main gig requires everything run direct - no amps, no open monitors - so I live or die with modelers. The X3 is a marvelous device that will get better as L6 gets their firmware and software upgraded in the next few months.

And contrary to what I've heard here and there, the XT cannot be made to sound as good as the X3. It's that much better.

Greg

Agree completely.

Short of the Axe Fx, the X3 is the best sounding and feeling modeling I have ever encountered. I can't afford the Axe Fx right now, but I'm very happy with the X3.

Archived