The definitive thread about wah pots - 100k vs 200k vs 470k ?

bikehorn

• Members

I bought a dead Crybaby with plans to build a new super-crazy fuzz wah inside it. The stock pot is a 100k Dunlop Hot Potz, although it doesn't look like the retail hot potz.

I've been wondering about using a different pot in it, specifically a 470k Hot Potz. It's said that Roger Mayer modified Jimi Hendrix's Crybaby, one of the mods being a 470k pot. I really like the wah sounds Jimi got and I'm wondering how much of a part the pot(well, i guess both "kinds" of pot played a part ;)) played. I am looking for an intense, piercing wah sound(like the bridge of "Tarpit" by Dinosaur Jr.) that no stock Crybaby I've ever tried has given me. I also couldn't get that sound from a Morley. For this reason, my wah will have a buffered input and output, two switchable inductors plus controls for pretty much anything a pot could be attached to. The more knobs the better! I haven't finished the circuit design yet.

Who here has experience with different wah pots? As I understand most Crybabys were shipped with 100k pots and some original Clydes had 200k.

Archived