Name that genre

kismet78

• Members
Very Cool!

I like the dry hump groove of it. The first section reminds me a lot of the Twin Peaks soundtrack stuff - kind of like the One-Eyed Jacks scene in Fire Walk With Me. The vocals have almost a Marilyn Manson /Alice Cooper quality, which I like. It fits the sleazy vibe.

:thu:

Wow, you're not the first to mention Marilyn Manson! I wasn't hearing it at first, but the more people that say it the more I think I'm hearing the connection. I was definitely going for sleazy, but I didn't know I was being THAT dramatic about it. Haha. Thanks for the feedback.

So, in the end, if you had to pin it down, what would you call it?

• Members

I'm having the same difficulty pinning a genre on my stuff. It's tough, because when I choose a genre in SoundClick, and then I play a few clips in that genre, they all sound so different, and they usually don't match the genre they've chosen. So it seems so arbitrary.

I would say that Silver Snakes definitely falls under the Rock or Alternative categories, but I don't know which sub-category. Based on the comments I made in the last post, you would almost fall under Goth Rock; but that doesn't seem right either. It's too bluesy to be Goth Rock. Know what I mean? Maybe Avant Rock? :idk:

• Members

Umm....nothing really. I guess it was just the little vocal effects and the triggered drums (are they?) that made me say that. I really like the song, although the bass drum could lose the Lars Ulrich clickity clak quality and the snare is too processed and fakey sounding. Cymbals sound good though, and the guitars are great.

• Members

Umm....nothing really. I guess it was just the little vocal effects and the triggered drums (are they?) that made me say that. I really like the song, although the bass drum could lose the Lars Ulrich clickity clak quality and the snare is too processed and fakey sounding. Cymbals sound good though, and the guitars are great.

Thanks. I've done some sample-y electro type stuff, like here. It's actually really fun, weird stuff - probably not what you'd expect. Anyway, I guess there's been more spillover of that into my rock-type stuff than I realized, i.e. vocal effects and stuff. In my head, I was thinking more along the lines of Pink Floyd-ish vox effects, but more modern and taken to Ween-ish extremes. Although, that one stutter effect I apply to the reverse reverb, near the beginning, is admittedly glitch-y electro sounding. I get what yer saying.

The drums are triggered and programming that live rock feel is not my forte. I try to keep it simple so I don't do anything clownish, but then I end up getting that static feeling. I really wish the drums got more dynamic towards the end especially. I'm working on that for the remix. Cheers.

• Members

I don't have any experience with recording, but drums seems like the hardest part to achieve the sound you're looking for. I've heard John Bonham would sometimes record with one mic hanging up above his kit a little ways out in front of it. He would just keep making takes and adjusting the volume of his playing on individual drums and cymbals until he got it balanced! :eek: Talk about talent, that guy had it.

Archived