EHX LPB-1

Zoidberg

• Members

I'm bored, and the weather is {censored}.

So tell me about the LPB-1, you can't go wrong with it, surely? 40$?

I got my Nano Small Stone yesterday, and today new EHX-GAS hit me with a SLAM. :lol: I think a LPB-1 could work out really well on my board.

Who uses it? for what exact use? Pros? Cons? :wave:

• Members
I'm bored, and the weather is
{censored}.

So tell me about the LPB-1, you can't go wrong with it, surely? 40$?

I got my Nano Small Stone yesterday, and today new EHX-GAS hit me with a SLAM.
:lol:
I think a LPB-1 could work out really well on my board.

Who uses it? for what exact use? Pros? Cons?
:wave:

The LPB-1 is an OLD single transistor gain boost pedal. It was very useful in the 1970s when amps lacked all the gain they now have and most pickups were relatively low output single-coils. If you drive it with pickups any hotter than that, the LPB-1 will clip and act like a fuzzbox without enough sustain.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

• Members
The LPB-1 is an OLD single transistor gain boost pedal. It was very useful in the 1970s when amps lacked all the gain they now have and most pickups were relatively low output single-coils. If you drive it with pickups any hotter than that, the LPB-1 will clip and act like a fuzzbox without enough sustain.

Ah, I should have said that I was thinking about the newer Nano version :thu:

• Members
Ah, I should have said that I was thinking about the newer Nano version
:thu:

From what I know, it's the exact same circuit. I built a clone of one three years ago before the reissues came out, and it's a great little clean boost. It very slightly boosts the lower frequencies more than the rest of the sound. I mean VERY slightly.

• Members
Ah, I should have said that I was thinking about the newer Nano version

It's my favorite OD pedal for leads in front of high gain amps. It doesn't alter eq...just pushes the signal really hard into the preamp. Its perfect for adding simple sustain for a solo.

Cons - the bypass is kinda suckey. It's a tone sucker. For leads over high gain it's a perfect 10. For anything else, like the tubescreamer sound, well that ain't gonna happen.

• Members

I love that pedal. It is well worth the money. It is true that the lows are boosted slightly more than the rest of the frequencies, but it really just thoickens up the tone. Great clean boost. True bypass, all analog... what's not to like?

• Members

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

ALL VERY TRUE :thu: - and that is why and how i use mine !!!

It is NOT a clear Bosst like say, a Mico Amp.

It is slightly darker voiced (adds a bit o' bass), and used with my Epi LP w. SD JB adds alot of fuzzyness on the edges (for me, in a good way though !) and when i MAX my lil' BJr. and kick in the LPB-1, you get more fuzz, NOT a volume spike at all !

Still, i love mine, and will stay on my board !

My 2cents

;)

• Members
I've thought about buying one, but after looking at the components, it seems so silly to not just build one
:idk:

http://oldamplifiers.com/effects/e13/e13.htm

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=26

Dare you dissuade us from buying an EHX pedal?!

:poke:

I see what you mean. But I think it's more about convenience, and possibly even the resale factor, should someone find it obsolete after a while. :idea:

• Members
ALL VERY TRUE
- and that is why and how i use mine !!!

It is NOT a clear Bosst like say, a Mico Amp.

It is slightly darker voiced (adds a bit o' bass), and used with my Epi LP w. SD JB adds alot of fuzzyness on the edges (for me, in a good way though !) and when i MAX my lil' BJr. and kick in the LPB-1, you get more fuzz, NOT a volume spike at all !

Still, i love mine, and will stay on my board !

My 2cents

;)

I'm really curious to how the LPB-1 will interact with the DiMarzio super distortion I have in the bridge of my Yamaha. Pushing a fuzz-pedal. :D
Hopefully thick goodness. ;)

• Members

Great advice that makes sense to me. I love my LPB-1, but I use it in front of circuits that don't have a ton of preamp gain and I use lower output vintage style pickups. It's a fantastic boost that colors the tone just slightly in the bass frequencies (it fattens the tone up).

Archived