OCD owners, tell me about it.

greeny

• Members

i consider it a light distortion/ heavy OD. of course you can back the gain off, but i always run my dirt pedals with the gain wide open.

its got the hi/ low switch that supposedly helps emulate fender and marshall type tones. i prefer the hi pass mode- the low pass is more muffled/ mooshier and has less gain.

unfortunately its one of those pedals that is super hyped so the used price is barely cheaper than a new one...you know like 99% of the spam thread- new X pedal is $100, but i only used it for 2 years, so ill sell it for $97!:rolleyes:

:)

• Members

My version 3 isn't particularly bright, in fact it sounded too dark at first in front of my Tophat combo (darkish sounding amp). I loved it in front of my 5150 combo (with stock EH 12ax7's it was very bright), but then I replaced the preamp tubes and it didn't sound as good.
Since selling the 5150, I've played around with the OCD in front of the Tophat for quite a bit and it now gives me a very full sounding overdrive. Not really a flat out distortion, to me it sounds a bit harsh with the gain dimed, so I run it at about 2 o'clock in the HP mode, tone between noon and 1 o'clock, and I think it has a really good British cranked non-master volume sound (somewhere between a Marshall and a Vox, I suppose). I a/b'd it to my BoR and the OCD has more gain, but less lowend.
Someone on another thread here described it as an OD+, not quite into full distortion pedal category, and I think that's a pretty apt description.

• Members

Yeah, it's an like an OD and then some. It can go from a light touch of drive to Van Halen when maxed out on HP mode. I personally have found it pairs better with darker amps - on the vibrato channel (bright!) of my DRRI it doesn't work well, but it sounds excellent on the darker normal channel or with my Classic 20.

Archived