Palmer PDI-09 + Loadbox = PDI-03 ??

Kaz2550

• Members

I'm toying with the idea of getting a speaker sim to be able to record my amps direct and came across these Palmer boxes. I heard that the PDI03 is the legendary one that all the pros use but I also heard that PDI09 is just the same thing without the internal loadbox. Since I already have a THD hotplate, which can be used as a loadbox, should I just get the PDI09 and save money? :idea:

Or am I missing something and is there more to it than that? Has anyone got any experiences with either unit and has anyone done what I described?

• Members

i've got a PDI-09; works really well for me.

i've had a few other speaker sims and it's the best so far.

the PDI-03 has more options; two 3-way switches giving 9 settings...

the PDI-09 essentially gives 3 'presets' from the -03.

• Members

Thanks, but as I understand it, you'd still need to hook it up to a speaker cab and you can't do a silent recording with it right? I thought if I plugged in my hotplate to the speaker output on the PDI-09 I could do essentially what the PDI-03 does and record in complete silence.

• Members

Thanks, but as I understand it, you'd still need to hook it up to a speaker cab and you can't do a silent recording with it right?
I thought if I plugged in my hotplate to the speaker output on the PDI-09 I could do essentially what the PDI-03 does and record in complete silence

yep :thu:

• Members

pdi-09 is great and I believe that it has has the same voicing and quality as the pdi-03. I usually use mine with a univalve line out so I don't need to worry about the load...but I do use it on the speaker line with a hotplate sometimes though and it sounds great!! Cleans are super easy to dial in; more dirt takes some tweaking and eqing to get it perfect.

• Members

the thing to do, is, take the speaker out, into the palmer box.....

send THAT feed to your preamp and recorder....

then thru the box, into the hotplate and out to speaker cab, and attenuate as far down as you want.

the palmer is taking the un-attenuated feed, and applying it's cab/mic sim sound to that......the full output of the amp.

• Members

the thing to do, is, take the speaker out, into the palmer box.....

send THAT feed to your preamp and recorder....

then thru the box, into the hotplate and out to speaker cab, and attenuate as far down as you want.

the palmer is taking the un-attenuated feed, and applying it's cab/mic sim sound to that......the full output of the amp.

+1...there is a very different sound between the above scenario and running it off the hotplates line out. The univalve has instrument level out and it seems to be a different sound all its own which is sometimes better and sometimes worse.

Archived