Boss GT-8 or Vox Tonelab Le

eddie.perez

• Members

Depends on what for.

The GT-8 is way more versatile, has more and better effects and integrates much better with regular guitar amps. Especially if you have a good amp with an FX loop and can do the Four Cable trick.

Direct to PA, studio monitors or other clean, full range amplification and speakers, the Tonelab has much better amp simulation. It not only sounds more like real valve (tube) amps but it feels more like real valve (tube) amps.

• Members

Depends on what for.

The GT-8 is way more versatile, has more and better effects and integrates much better with regular guitar amps. Especially if you have a good amp with an FX loop and can do the Four Cable trick.

Direct to PA, studio monitors or other clean, full range amplification and speakers, the Tonelab has much better amp simulation. It not only sounds more like real valve (tube) amps but it feels more like real valve (tube) amps.

Listen to NIK, he knows what he is talking about :idea::thu:

• Members

Depends on what for.

I here that alot. what's the four cable trick?:confused:

• Members

I here that alot. what's the four cable trick?
:confused:

I write it a lot:

Guitar > GT input

GT loop send > Amp input

Amp FX send > GT loop return

GT output > amp FX return

Each '>' is a cable.

Now you amp's preamp is just another FX block in the GT-8 signal chain.

• Members

I write it a lot:

Guitar > GT input

GT loop send > Amp input

Amp FX send > GT loop return

GT output > amp FX return

Each '>' is a cable.

Now you amp's preamp is just another FX block in the GT-8 signal chain.

Would I still be able to control the preamp settings on my amp? by the way thanks for that advice, I'll defenetly try it out.

• Members

You can do the 4 cable method with the Tonelab SE as well.

...But it does you no good, because the Tonelab's loop is before any of the other FX and cannot be moved.

The advantage of the 4CM with a Boss GT is that you can place your amp's preamp anywhere in the Gt's signal chain, bypass it, control the signal level going to it and coming back from it etc. With A GT-8 you can also use the GT's relay output to switch amp channels.

• Members

...But it does you no good, because the Tonelab's loop is before any of the other FX and cannot be moved.

The advantage of the 4CM with a Boss GT is that you can place your amp's preamp anywhere in the Gt's signal chain, bypass it, control the signal level going to it and coming back from it etc. With A GT-8 you can also use the GT's relay output to switch amp channels.

That's correct although isn't the compression and such before the insert? I'd have to dig out my manual but I thought I recall something in the chain occuring before the insert point.

Was that changed with the Tonelab LE or is the loop point still unassignable?

• Members

That's correct although isn't the compression and such before the insert? I'd have to dig out my manual but I thought I recall something in the chain occuring before the insert point.

No.

Was that changed with the Tonelab LE or is the loop point still unassignable?

No change. It's still fixed before the pedal effect.

Archived