OMG ToneLab, the fizziness is gone!

fly135

• Members

I already have a GT-8, GNX3, and a AX1500G, but I just picked up a used ToneLab (tabletop). My first thought was....

OMG ToneLab, the fizziness is gone! I can run the dial through every amp sim on the Tonelab and it sounds great with no tweaks. The "you have to put the time in tweaking" paradigm that applies to MultiFX units, and should be put on a warning label on the box does not apply to the ToneLab.

The FX chain is a simple Mod->Delay->Reverb. At first listen they sound fine just like your standard pedals. No fanciness here like on the other units. This is a plain Jane "Tube Amp" sim that seems to do that particular job better than the rest.

• Members
The "you have to put the time in tweaking" paradigm that applies to MultiFX units, and should be put on a warning label on the box does not apply to the ToneLab.

:thu:

I've tweaked my tonelab and have made it sound better (to my ears) than the factory presets. But if it sounds perfect out of the box for you, that's great. I love the simplicity of the unit, too.

• Members
:thu:

I've tweaked my tonelab and have made it sound better (to my ears) than the factory presets. But if it sounds perfect out of the box for you, that's great. I love the simplicity of the unit, too.

I haven't even looked at the presets yet. I should probably default the unit as I don't know what the previous owner has in it. I got it used for $125.

Basically I cranked the gain and vr gain to max, set the output volume, then went through each amp model with the pedal setting off. Every amp model sounded great without tweaking anything. But I don't doubt that you can tweak it better. Seems like the other FX units need to be tweaked to just sound good.

• Members

A higher quality preamp tube will improve the tone some as well. I found max gain and virtual gain settings to have a little digital fizz, so I threw in a old Mullard 12AX7. Got rid of the artifacts and fattened things up a tad.

+1

A Groove Tubes Mullard copy - GT12AX7M - worked for me. But remember to recaliobrate after changing the valve/tube.

• Members

Basically I cranked the gain and vr gain to max, set the output volume, then went through each amp model with the pedal setting off. Every amp model sounded great without tweaking anything. But I don't doubt that you can tweak it better. Seems like the other FX units need to be tweaked to just sound good.

Hmmm...

Maxed out VR gain is not the best way to go on the high gain models. After all, to JCM900, JCM2000, Recto and Soldano amps sound best with the Master volume maxed? No. They mush out, and so do the Vox models of them.

• Members

A higher quality preamp tube will improve the tone some as well. I found max gain and virtual gain settings to have a little digital fizz, so I threw in a old Mullard 12AX7. Got rid of the artifacts and fattened things up a tad.

It came with a JJ installed, and the original, plus a GT in the box. The original owner said the original tube was pretty harsh.

But remember to recaliobrate after changing the valve/tube.

Is the calibration in the manual? I didn't remember seeing this.

Maxed out VR gain is not the best way to go on the high gain models.

I admit I didn't spend a lot of time with the high gain models.

• Members
Hmmm...

Maxed out VR gain is not the best way to go on the high gain models. After all, to JCM900, JCM2000, Recto and Soldano amps sound best with the Master volume maxed? No. They mush out, and so do the Vox models of them.

Whoops, playing around with it this morning I realized that I probably didn't have the gain maxed out. The knobs were maxed but I now see that doesn't mean that it's set to the knob position, until you move the knobs.:idea:

• Members
Whoops, playing around with it this morning I realized that I probably didn't have the gain maxed out. The knobs were maxed but I now see that doesn't mean that it's set to the knob position, until you move the knobs.
:idea:

In Manual mode it does. When zipping through the presets it does. See tha manual for details.

Archived