Anyone favor the Tonelab SE over the LE??

sahlomonic

• Members

I've had my Tonelab LE for about 5 months now, and I think its a great unit. I absolutely LOVE the tube-like crunch and presence I get, its very gig-worthy, and I like the assignable channels/banks. Then I look at my rhythm guitarists' Tonelab SE and I see I'm missing out. 2 expression pedals, more amp models (including ones we use with our music, and mine doesn't have), and an A/B switch, just to name a few. The bitrate is better on mine, but I can't tell at all. Anyone else favor the SE over the LE?:confused:

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I've had my Tonelab LE for about 5 months now, and I think its a great unit. I absolutely LOVE the tube-like crunch and presence I get, its very gig-worthy, and I like the assignable channels/banks. Then I look at my rhythm guitarists' Tonelab SE and I see I'm missing out. 2 expression pedals, more amp models (including ones we use with our music, and mine doesn't have), and an A/B switch, just to name a few. The bitrate is better on mine, but I can't tell at all. Anyone else favor the SE over the LE?
:confused:

I have a tonelab SE and I've played the tonelab LE and come to the same conclusion. The sound quality may not be the same in theory, but I can't hear any significant difference... The SE is more flexible and definitely one of the best multi-effect boards around. I just think that the LE is a cheaper version of it with a little extra's that don't make much difference.

And the SE looks way cooler. Love the deep blue... :)

Don't think I want to bash the LE though. It's great value, but I'd rather stick with the big one.

• Members

I guess the S/P DIF out is the only feature you'd be missing (if you have the proper setup to go with it that is).

If you're using the S/P DIF out regularly and you want that feature then you should look for a Tonelab (desktop version) + VC-4 (? - the footcontroller thingy) combo.

I'm not sure on this, but I think it is possible to use an external expression pedal to control some things through MIDI - I think I saw something about it on that Pro Review article. That might be worth a shot.

Archived