im looking for advice on what type of pedals i need

idrisguitar

• Members
basically im looking to improve my pretty empty pedal board, my 21st brithday is coming so im hoping that will add to my current saving. im looking into getting a fender twin reverb amp. along with more pedals.

i currently have a dd-20 delay pedal. but im looking to add more sounds and styles to my guitar pallette if you will.

my main style would be acoustic instrumental (with delayed electric on top), so very calmm ambient music, that can pick up pace and intesity at the end of a song.

you can listen to some of my old demos in the myspace link in my sig if you want
:)

firstly im wanting a pedal that will allow me to have swell like guitar with tons of sustain, almost violin like, that goes on for ages, (to create an atmosphere as a song starts or end.) cant seem to find anything in the boss range. being a pedal newbie i dont really know what im looking for.

im also looking for a good quality smooth overdrive, to add a bit more energy to my sound but without it turning into a hard rock metal style. looked and listen to a few online, but if you guys can help recommend more things to look at.

considering my sound are there any other different pedals that you have that you think add an original and effective sound to your pallette and would recommend also?

i REALLY hope you guys can help, i would go into a store and play around for hours but i live in stafford (uk), there isn't a good store anywhere near me, plus i cant drive
:(

thanks a lot

Idris

Since delay is a big part of your sound, I'd add another one. You already have a nice digital delay, so I'd recommend checking out an Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. It's analog, so it will sound a bit different.

As for the swells you mention, a volume pedal will do the trick. Getting the sustain will come from other aspects.

Now, you mention wanting an overdrive, as well as having your songs gain intensity. Have you considered a fuzz pedal? Many bands that play similar styles to yours use fuzz pedals in addition to distortion/overdrive pedals. In fact, I actually play music a bit like yours (although mine is all electric). I usually start songs slow, and clean (usually with some modulation and delay), then build them up. I skipped overdrive completely and went for some fuzz pedals. Right now I have three - Electro-Harmonix Double-Muff and Big Muff Pi, as well as an Ibanez FZ7.

The double-muff is a fuzz overdrive. It gives you low-mid gain fuzz. It sounds great for stuff that needs some distortion, but don't need heavy distortion.

The Big Muff is one of my favorite pedals ever. Thick, heavy fuzz that sustains forever. It's great for (IMO) just about anything. I've even found it useful in quiet, clean parts of songs. Adding a few notes with the Big Muff on over a quiet, clean riff is great. It's also great for some really strong build-ups in songs. Plus the fact that it's a great all-around fuzz as well. :love:

The FZ7 is much more specific. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's EXACTLY what you're looking for. I use mine exclusively for the speaker damage option it has. It will simulate a torn, ratty speaker, letting your sound crackle and cut in and out. For me, it's useful. For most people, it's worthless. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a first or only fuzz pedal.

I'd recommend the Double-Muff and Big Muff for a good range of unique fuzz and overdrive tones.

I'd also suggest a reverb and some modulation. Maybe a Holy Grail and Flanger Hoax?

The Holy Grail is a good basic reverb and should do all that you need.

The Flanger Hoax can do some amazing modulation. It has a learning curve, but it's well worth it. I consider it a must for any ambient music. :thu:

Archived