OCD ver.2 arrived today (modded it first thing) - this pedal is why I sold the CJOD!

Deaj

• Members

I purchased a late s/n version 2 Fulltone OCD from another TGP forumite last week and it arrived today. After checking it to be sure that it was operational I opened it up and replaced the capacitor in the upper left corner with a smaller value (from .1uF to .047uF - this mod used to be posted on the Fulltone site prior to the release of version 3). Compared to the stock version 2 OCD this mod is a little more responsive, had a little less gain, slightly stronger mids, a touch less bass, a smoother top end, and more sustain. It had this 'singing' quality and a more distinctive attack. This thing sounds amazing!!

This isn't the first one I've owned and used though. I used to own a version 1 OCD that I converted to version 2 and also performed the same mod as noted above. It ended up being my favorite overdrive pedal for more than a year (the other pedals on my board at the time were a Lovepedal COT-50, Lovepedal Eternity, and a CJOD). My modded OCD and the CJOD were different in many ways but they also shared some common ground. The attack characteristics of the modded OCD were quite similar to the CJOD and it could be dialed in to sound very much like the CJOD. Both had a smooth drive and a singing quality that were similar. Though I was quite sure I'd never sell the CJOD the modded OCD changed my mind. I ended up using the OCD for the sound I'd been using the CJOD for and, while the CJOD had other tones to offer it ended up taking a back seat to the OCD.

I ended up selling the OCD because it didn't behave well with a delay pedal downstream. BIG MISTAKE!! When I replaced my delay pedal with a processor for use in the amps effects loop I decided to replace the OCD I'd sold.

It's here now and I'm even more pleased than I remember being with it the last time! The OCD gets plenty of good press - it's a great sounding overdrive pedal. I just thought I'd post some positive words about this lesser known Fulltone sanctioned version of the OCD.

• Members

I purchased a late s/n version 2 Fulltone OCD from another TGP forumite last week and it arrived today. After checking it to be sure that it was operational I opened it up and replaced the capacitor in the upper left corner with a smaller value (from .1uF to .047uF - this mod used to be posted on the Fulltone site prior to the release of version 3). Compared to the stock version 2 OCD this mod is a little more responsive, had a little less gain, slightly stronger mids, a touch less bass, a smoother top end, and more sustain. It had this 'singing' quality and a more distinctive attack. This thing sounds amazing!!

This isn't the first one I've owned and used though. I used to own a version 1 OCD that I converted to version 2 and also performed the same mod as noted above. It ended up being my favorite overdrive pedal for more than a year (the other pedals on my board at the time were a Lovepedal COT-50, Lovepedal Eternity, and a CJOD). My modded OCD and the CJOD were different in many ways but they also shared some common ground. The attack characteristics of the modded OCD were quite similar to the CJOD and it could be dialed in to sound very much like the CJOD. Both had a smooth drive and a singing quality that were similar. Though I was quite sure I'd never sell the CJOD the modded OCD changed my mind. I ended up using the OCD for the sound I'd been using the CJOD for and, while the CJOD had other tones to offer it ended up taking a back seat to the OCD.

I ended up selling the OCD because it didn't behave well with a delay pedal downstream. BIG MISTAKE!! When I replaced my delay pedal with a processor for use in the amps effects loop I decided to replace the OCD I'd sold.

It's here now and I'm even more pleased than I remember being with it the last time! The OCD gets plenty of good press - it's a great sounding overdrive pedal. I just thought I'd post some positive words about this lesser known Fulltone sanctioned version of the OCD.

Welcome to the club! I love my v3 OCD! GREAT PEDAL IMO :thu:

• Members
is the OCD a overdrive or a distortion pedal? Seems like a lot of gain. Love to hear the clipz yo.

Thats the thing about it....i used mine for medium-high gain distortion tones and now I got a new amp that does high gain so I use it for low gain/boost. It does a lot of thing really well but i think its the best as a low gain drive.

• Members

Did Fulltone incorporate this mod into the V3 or is it still something one could do with a V3? Just curious...not sure if I would or not.

No, it was never incorporated into any of the official versions. It was only posted as a user modification. There are a couple of guys over a the Gear Page that have swapped this cap out for either a .068uF or .047uF in a ver.3 OCD and all report positive results. I'm considering installing a switch so that I can select between the stock .1uF and the .047uF. All are good values depending on what you want from the pedal. :)

• Members

Deaj :

Have you ran your OCD @ differ voltz , and if so would you say that w / the mods and voltz differ there's noticable dynamics / response in the above mention freq's.

thanx :

Riffo

I haven't yet but I'm going to give it a try at 12vDC right now. I don't have a 18vDC power supply though.

• Members

After reading about some of the other ideas folks have applied to modding the OCD I decided to open mine up again today and make some changes.

1: I replaced the electrolytic 2.2uF output cap with a 2.2uF Tantalum cap. Subtle difference but a good one!

2: I set up a makeshift switching rig so that I could test several different cap values for the pre-OD cap. I ended up where I started - the .047uF is my favorite. I discovered, though, that I also like the stock .1uF cap as well. So I installed a switch to allow for both values.

OCD-mod.JPG

I ordered a 1.5uF tantalum cap from Mouser this evening. I haven't tried lowering the output cap before and I'm curious. I noticed an improvement when I switched the electrolytic output cap for the tantalum type. If I like the 1.5uF I may put it on a switch with 2.2uF cap. I'll post my thoughts once I've given it a go.

• Members

I wasn't able to find any of the clips that I recorded with the last OCD I owned. I'm going to wait to record this one until I'm done with the switchable output cap mod. I can then demo the different cap values compared directly with the stock values. Should have audio to post by next weekend. :)

Archived