Should I go Reaktor?

• Members

Hey,

I've been reading up and using the search function, but figured I'd go ahead and throw a post out there.

I'm somewhat new but somewhat experienced when it comes to software synths and recording. I've used dated versions of Fruity Loops as well as Protools, and am getting comfortable using GarageBand as a sequencer.

Since I can use GB for actual recording, I was thinking of picking up Reaktor 5 for my sounds - the instruments in GB are meh, and by the time I buy upgrades and expansions, I could pick up Reaktor5 for the same or cheaper since its being sold for 225 now.

I have friends that swear by Reason, but I'd still be dumping it into GB, it's still being sold at 399, and it still sounds like Reason most of the time. It's kind of become the Microkorg of the software world, IMHO. Sounds cool, but it's everywhere you listen.

So would grabbing Reaktor 5, a decent midi controller (looking at the Edirols), and using GB to record be a pretty good start/way too much/terrible idea?

Thanks in advance - I'm still green, so go easy on me, haha.

:thu:

• Members

As far as I'm concerned, Reaktor's a no-brainer at that price, even if you never build anything with it and just use the synths that come with it and the user library.

ew

• Members

As far as I'm concerned, Reaktor's a no-brainer at that price, even if you never build anything with it and just use the synths that come with it and the user library.

ew

^ What he said. It's an absolute bargain right now, and something you can delve into as deep as you care to. :thu:

• Members

A relevant question: How about the NI "electronic Instruments" ensembles vol. 1, 2. Are they worth the price?

Yep. EIv1's dirt cheap everywhere, and it's got some really cool things in it. My favorite from v1's probably Atmotion, a really bizarre FM synth with table driven filters, FM and amp modulation.

2's more expensive, but you get much more with it. Metaphysical Function is worth the price alone, as is Photone. You also get two killer beatboxes in Limelite and Krypt, an excellent chord sequencer with an interesting additive/FM hybrid in Akkord... the list goes on.

I did this as a demo for v2 when it first came out. Just Photone, Akkord (the sequenced "guitar") and Metaphysical Function (the voices and assorted weirdness), and recorded "live" (no overdubs or post processing).

ew

• Members

EI2 owns with pomegranate seeds as a garnish. A MUST.

There's no Universal Binary of it which is why I could buy someone else's copy for el cheap.

They're not really optimized either, and the patch selection is wonky :(. Good thing Ableton provides a different drop-down box (but no prev/next buttons) that doesn't act weird.

• Members

There's no Universal Binary of it which is why I could buy someone else's copy for el cheap.

Yeah, the XT version isn't UB. However, it still comes with the legacy ensembles, which load into R5, which is UB with the latest version. With the "plain" EIv2 (non-XT), it's a non-issue.

They're not really optimized either, and the patch selection is wonky
:(
. Good thing Ableton provides a different drop-down box (but no prev/next buttons) that doesn't act weird.

The non-optimization's due to all the multipictures being used in place of knobs and sliders; those chew up lots of CPU. If you strip all the pretty knobs out of Photone and use normal Reaktor knobs, there's a noticeable drop in CPU usage. That's one of the reasons R5 introduced knob skinning; so you could have designer knobs and sliders without the CPU hit you had in R4.

ew

• Members

With the "plain" EIv2 (non-XT), it's a non-issue.

Uh. What? There's a plain version? And the only difference is that XT comes with the ENS files?

The non-optimization's due to all the multipictures being used in place of knobs and sliders

Ah, right.

It's too bad R5 is 385 euros here. (that's $520).

• Members

Uh. What? There's a plain version? And the only difference is that XT comes with the ENS files?

The original EIv2 (and the only one that's being produced now; all the XTs in stores are old stock) can only be used in Reaktor. The XT version can be used either without Reaktor or, by using the ensembles inside the legacy folder on the installer CD, used with it. The versions that run without Reaktor can't be loaded into Reaktor itself; hence the legacy folder (EIXT was the only version for a while).

ew

Archived